Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
My wife currently has an older Nook Color, and I'm looking to get her a new one for Christmas.

The iPad Mini and new Nook Color HD are about the same size, and both seem to have similar features except the Nook has an HD screen, and you can add an HDSC card for additional memory.

We also have the iPad 3, and she has an iPhone, so there are some benefits to getting the Mini and having access to the Apple ecosystem.

Have any of you guys actually compared the iPad Mini against the new Nook Color HD, and if so, what was your deciding factor?

Thank you!

Last edited:

SpectreOne3

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
My wife currently has an older Nook Color, and I'm looking to get her a new one for Christmas.

The iPad Mini and new Nook Color HD are about the same size, and both seem to have similar features except the Nook has an HD screen, and you can add an HDSC card for additional memory.

We also have the iPad 3, and she has an iPhone, so there are some benefits to getting the Mini and having access to the Apple ecosystem.

Have any of you guys actually compared the iPad Mini against the new Nook Color HD, and if so, what was your deciding factor?

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat as you, looking to upgrade my wife's Nook Color with either the HD or a Mini. She mainly reads but would like, I think, the ability for gaming, browsing, etc... I know the HD will do all that but the store units I played with seemed really sluggish. Some reviews I've read said there is an update that will alleviate that.

She has a GS3 but all else in our house is Apple, iMac, iPad 2, music and vids in iTunes

RieRie

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
I was in the same boat. I decided to upgrade my own Nook Color with an iPad Mini due to the original reason that I bought the Nook, which was because I was looking for something smaller than a iPad. I have an iPhone and had an iPad 2 and I used my iPad 2 to mostly read books and play a few games and it was uncomfortable after a while. If the iPad Mini was available previously, I would have gone with that and now that it's time for an upgrade, I have. Your wife can load all of her Nook books using the Nook app on an iPad Mini and enjoy the better games and apps that apple has to offer. I hope this helps.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As a point of reference, I have an iPad Mini, iPad 4, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite.

I do a lot of reading. As much as I like my iPads, nothing beats a dedicated eReader.

The Kindle Paperwhite is only a bit over $100 & in the Kindle family it's the one dedicated eReader.

I've had several earlier Kindle's and this one is truly amazing. It's so popular in my house I ended up buying a second one.

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
I looked at the Nook HD before buying the mini. I really wanted to go with the Nook HD because it was substantially cheaper and the screen was gorgeous. I ultimately went with the mini because:

1. Apple ecosystem = very easy instant syncing of all apps, music, videos, playlists, bookmarks, contacts, compatibility with AirPlay with my AppleTV, etc.

2. iPad mini is lighter (barely according to specs)

3. iPad mini's screen, while noticeably lower in resolution, is noticeably larger in size. 7.9" 4x3 screen is much more usable than a 7" 16x10 screen for reading email, ebooks in ibooks, using the internet, etc. As gorgeous as the Nook HD screen was to look at, I value screen size over resolution on a small tablet. A nook HD+ has a 9" screen. At very close to 8" the iPad mini's screen is right at the midpoint between the nook HD and HD+. I tried reading magazines and comic books on a 7" nook color for a while and the text was always too small and I had to constantly zoom in and out and scroll. I don't have this issue at all with the 7.9" iPad mini.

4. iPad mini just felt much nicer. Higher end materials, sleeker design, very thin, well balanced, and reasonably light.

5. I had an original Nook Color and it was a major PITA to root (is there a way to root a nook HD yet?), weed through memory cards that were not compatible, etc. Wasted way too much time tinkering with it vs. using it. For all 3 of my iPads, it was a simple matter of syncing them in iTunes and having a perfectly set up tablet with everything I needed in about 15 minutes.

6. I like the fact that the iPad gives me access to iBooks, Kindle and Nook apps and I can load up and read every ebook I bought from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Apple all on 1 single device. While you can probably load the Kindle app onto a Nook by rooting it and running the Kindle android app, I just didn't want to screw around with hacking a nook anymore.

Last edited:

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
For you guys who selected the iPad Mini over the new Nook Color HD, how does the size of the print compare?

I saw a review on the web in which they indicated the iPad Mini's print was smaller and harder to read?

One other thing; an advantage with the Mini is she will be able to use both Nook and Kindle apps to read books, whereas on the Nook, she would only be able to read Nook books, as I don't think Nook has an app for Kindle books?

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.