Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I know it exists, but every time I try to use the bootcamp assistant in Mountain Lion (throwing that out there so you know I have it), I get 4.0. I'm told that there are a lot of driver improvements in 5.0.1 (I read somewhere about Windows 8 drivers being better).

Is there some way to force it to download the "Mountain Lion Exclusive" version, or am I just screwed?

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I have seen no reports of a true boot camp 5.0. On the osx side it will say 5.0 after installing ML, but on the windows side it still says 4.0. Because nothing has changed from lion to mountain lion. There are no official windows8 support drivers. That said many have had success by using the current win7 drivers without too much trouble.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I have seen no reports of a true boot camp 5.0. On the osx side it will say 5.0 after installing ML, but on the windows side it still says 4.0. Because nothing has changed from lion to mountain lion. There are no official windows8 support drivers. That said many have had success by using the current win7 drivers without too much trouble.

Then why change the number on the OS X side?

I'm not saying you're wrong, you're probably right, but that doesn't make any sense at all.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I agree it makes no sense, but was what happened when ML was released. I got my laptop few months before ML went final and coming from 20 years of windows (still running win8 on it now) I followed the hype of a boot camp 5.0 that sort of never happened.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Errr... no it isn't.

There are improvements between NT kernel 6.1 and 6.2.

There is no reason to have bootcamp get a number bump.

Yes, I know, I just like MS' version numbering, which reminds me of the different version numbering you seem to have encountered. Since I do not use Windows via Boot Camp, I haven't had a chance to see it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.