Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Was it worth your money? What made you go for 2012 instead of saving money and getting a 2011?
How's the performance? Do you plan to return it?

gaddster

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
I wanted a machine that wouldnt slow me down when video editing BUT i couldnt go the whole hog and get a £4000 mac pro.

Im loving this imac (i7, 1tb fusion, 680mx) even though like any new product, it seems to have teething difficulties etc

Whats not to love here, Power and Beauty in one machine :D

mrcliffsr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Charlotte, NC
iMac editing

Are you using FCPX? Had to replace my new 27 because of freezing when rendering titles and also using Motion 5. Waiting on the new one.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
For me the no interest financing option really sealed the deal. To get 18 months 0% you had to spend over $2k, so I took advantage and did the i7 and 680MX GPU.

But after getting the machine I will say hands down that the less reflective screen really is a major improvement to the 2011's. That alone almost makes the purchase worth it. (Plus, had some issues with my new iMac, so Apple refunded me $250 making it that much nicer and cheaper!)

ArtieFufkin10

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
Its a great machine..

Doing some audio recording/editing and photography stuff and its great.

3TB Fusion so plenty of space for all my work.

The display is gorgeous too.

Kelsmom18

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
North Carolina
Fantastic machine (good finance plan) - I don't regret the purchase one bit! Powerful and beautiful to look at! Other than the wait for delivery has been a good experience all the way around. :D

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
I was a luck one

I walked in and they had one in stock 27" 3.4. I grabbed it and did the transfer yesterday. I could not wait any linger for the Mac Pro. I sued it for CAD drawing and I am doing things with the CAD program that was NEVER possible with my old Mac Pro. This is a rocket ship.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Was it worth your money? What made you go for 2012 instead of saving money and getting a 2011?
How's the performance? Do you plan to return it?

It's a lot of small things plus FD that all add up to make it a great upgrade.

Lighter, smaller, quieter, better cooling system, less reflective, better looking screen, USB 3, more powerful, Fusion Drive...

I think that's about it. 2011 is a great machine as well. If you don't want to spend the bucks and don't need USB 3, then get a 2011.

----------

Are you using FCPX? Had to replace my new 27 because of freezing when rendering titles and also using Motion 5. Waiting on the new one.

I read in another thread that this is a software problem and not the iMacs fault. I could be wrong, but you might want to check that out. There may be nothing wrong with your computer...

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
It's a lot of small things plus FD that all add up to make it a great upgrade.

Lighter, smaller, quieter, better cooling system, less reflective, better looking screen, USB 3, more powerful, Fusion Drive...

I think that's about it. 2011 is a great machine as well. If you don't want to spend the bucks and don't need USB 3, then get a 2011.

----------

I read in another thread that this is a software problem and not the iMacs fault. I could be wrong, but you might want to check that out. There may be nothing wrong with your computer...
its an issue with the graphics card, sucks that you returned it :/

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
its an issue with the graphics card, sucks that you returned it :/

That's it. Thanks. So that means they will need to update the drivers on the graphics card before it works, yeah?

So even if he gets a new one, it still won't work with the 680mx? Surely they'll update the firmware or drivers soon...

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
That's it. Thanks. So that means they will need to update the drivers on the graphics card before it works, yeah?

So even if he gets a new one, it still won't work with the 680mx? Surely they'll update the firmware or drivers soon...

apparently the issue is just with 680mx so yes even with replacement it will have the same problem, unless apple updates it right when he gets his iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.