Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captain D Luffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
So my problem is simple, I have been trying to partition my harddrive so that I can install windows onto it. I ordered 10.7 from Mac and they sent me a code to download it from the app store, which it is downloading now. When the download is complete would I be able to burn it to a CD and use that to reformat my HD and fix my error (files cannot be moved, etc)? I do not have the disk that came with my Mac.

Alternatively, would I be able to boot from my backup HD which has my time machine backed up on it and then use that to reformat my HD?

I also wanted to upgrade to 10.7 from my current version (10.6.8) so if it doesnt work then it wasnt a wasted purchase.

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

Then you do a clean install: Perform a Clean Install of OS X Lion on Your Mac

After that, you migrate settings and data and applications from your Time Machine backup (you cannot boot from a TM backup, that is what a 1:1 clone is there for, for which you can use CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper! or Disk Utility) via Setup or Migration Assistant.
Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:

Windows should be installed via Boot Camp Assistant, which creates a separate partition for Windows, Disk Utility should not be used for that.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard does not need to be installed if you created a bootable installer out of the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion installer you currently download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.