Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
NYC
A very simple question... can Apple TV play Video_TS files direct from a NAS drive?

TY

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
A very simple question... can Apple TV play Video_TS files direct from a NAS drive?

TY

Can't play Video_TS (since they are Mpeg2s) and can't play directly from a NAS. You need them converted to h.264 (mp4) and loaded into iTunes.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Also Infuse will play them off NAS easily, without the need for a server.

And when you use "MakeMKV" There are even more that can play it as MKV. Even free apps like Video Player. You could try that anyway before you make an MKV. Maybe it can play Video TS. But I am not sure if that app can now also play 5.1 sound. It was recently updated and keeps surprising me. Because it is free and can play more formats than any other app it seems.

I will give Infuse a try tonight. Because I was not aware it could play TS files. But while I stay the same those apps improve..... Amazing....!
;-)

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
This is something I wanted from Plex so badly a few years ago when I was using it more heavily. If I brought it up (I think I asked it in the Plex forum once), I'd have the inevitable and exhaustingly obvious suggestion to "convert them." nar.

Yeah, no. I want to play the DVD menus and easily open these hdd-stored-DVDs in the same way I can browse and quickly play my mp4s and avis and mkvs.

I'd be really surprised but delighted if Infuse or something else can open a video_ts like a DVD player software would, and it would likely push me to buy an ATV4 quite a bit more quickly.
Can it really do this? Am I misunderstanding something? It sounds almost… tooo good.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
My bad! I was mixing it up with .ts (MPEG transport stream files).
Infuse plays those, but not the DVD VIDEO_TS folder.
VLC is able to play back the VOB files inside VIDEO_TS, but does not support the menu interaction, just continuous playback of selected VOB. It seems to be able to stitch them together so entire movie plays back without interruptions.

jeevestobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
MrMC supports dvd playback (with menu interaction) in .iso and .img formats. They are also planning to add VIDEO_TS playback support in a future version.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
wowee. thanks for the heads up, jeevestobs. I [surprisingly] got an ATV4 the other day, a lot sooner than I thought I would, so that's good to know.
I dunno if I'll be really quick to pay $6-7 for MrMC just yet because Plex and Infuse are doing so well with every other format, and I haven't figured out VLC, yet. So MrMC would only be used for DVD images if I want to start organizing those. And also, from what I see, that MrMC app is so bleeding ugly (and I don't want to have the hobby of customizing it to whatever extent it's able), so I don't want to replace Plex with it.
But that's so great to know the capability actually is there. :D

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
wowee. thanks for the heads up, jeevestobs. I [surprisingly] got an ATV4 the other day, a lot sooner than I thought I would, so that's good to know.
I dunno if I'll be really quick to pay $6-7 for MrMC just yet because Plex and Infuse are doing so well with every other format, and I haven't figured out VLC, yet. So MrMC would only be used for DVD images if I want to start organizing those. And also, from what I see, that MrMC app is so bleeding ugly (and I don't want to have the hobby of customizing it to whatever extent it's able), so I don't want to replace Plex with it.
But that's so great to know the capability actually is there. :D

You could also side-load Kodi (what used to be XBMC, and what MrMC came from) onto the ATV4. Just got done doing it myself, in order to play .iso files from a HD hanging off my AirPort Extreme. So far the only downside is using the ATV remote for playback. Since it doesn't have DVD playback controls, you have to bring up Kodi's on-screen controls and select them.

Other than that, it's all gravy.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
You could also side-load Kodi (what used to be XBMC, and what MrMC came from) onto the ATV4. Just got done doing it myself, in order to play .iso files from a HD hanging off my AirPort Extreme. So far the only downside is using the ATV remote for playback. Since it doesn't have DVD playback controls, you have to bring up Kodi's on-screen controls and select them.

Other than that, it's all gravy.
Thanks! I'll have to (or want to) get a USB-C cable at some soon point so I'll have to wait until then. Kodi might be a much more worthwhile option than buying a paired down option, so I'll look more into it.

When I was looking for ATV4s, I saw on eBay that people are selling "jailbroken" 4s with Kodi on them at higher costs. (I wasn't interested in buying, but I noticed them.) But Kodi can just be side-loaded on to the current TV OS? That's sort of funny…

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks! I'll have to (or want to) get a USB-C cable at some soon point so I'll have to wait until then. Kodi might be a much more worthwhile option than buying a paired down option, so I'll look more into it.

When I was looking for ATV4s, I saw on eBay that people are selling "jailbroken" 4s with Kodi on them at higher costs. (I wasn't interested in buying, but I noticed them.) But Kodi can just be side-loaded on to the current TV OS? That's sort of funny…

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I've had my AppleTV for just under two weeks now. I've only really dealt with Plex, but I have Infuse and it was easy to share the Plex library with it.

I only just installed (side-loaded) Kodi today so I'm hoping it works out okay! I'm having to just learn how to access folders across my home network, so I haven't yet tested VIDEO_TS inside of Kodi or Infuse.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Oh… my goodness. Couple hours later after getting my home network weirdness figured out, and I've got Kodi connected to my "DVDs" folder.

A wall of my titles with cover art, just as I hoped for! That's so neat!

Will have to check later if I can set up a similar network situation inside of Infuse and comparable results in a… less-ugly interface. But even this is good enough just to browse my DVDs from hard drive.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Welll, that was fun while it lasted?

Kodi still played DVDs w/ menus and all just fine this morning when I played around with it. Now suddenly it doesn't know how to handle "VIDEO_TS.IFO" files and no DVDs will open. It eventually says "Playback Failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message."

But other video files will still open that are shared in the same network. VOB files selected individually will play.

What's changed? -- I updated Yosemite to El Capitan today on this Mac. If that's somehow changed the way Kodi reacts to a filetype, then that's crraaaazy.

Will have to check again and see if it's changed its mind back later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.