Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
OK, I seem to have got my server up and running somehow but I think I might have misunderstood the basics of servers.

I have a Mac Mini running Lion server and have created users on the server.

On my MBP running 10.8.4 I have allowed network login using the Mac Mini server.

I was under the impression that this would then store all the user settings and documents on the server so that when I log in from another computer (in this case another MBP running 10.8) that all the files and settings such as mail would appear on computer no. 2 but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Instead logging in as the network use appears to create a directory on the machines local hard drive, not on the server.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Er its OK. I found the magic solution that says make a share to be used for home directories and set up a user to use that share.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
Er its OK. I found the magic solution that says make a share to be used for home directories and set up a user to use that share.

Make sure you also set up portable home directories. if you don't and you take your MBP out of your home network you will have issues logging in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.