Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
We just patched Rome with loads of shiny goodies.

http://support.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-games/rometw/updates/#release_history

Version: 1.3
Released on: 17 May 2013

• Now with Retina support
  • Graphical enhancements (including death animations, shadows and World map)
  • Stability improvements and crash fixes (including custom battles and end turn)
  • AI and game balancing improvements (including Phalanx AI, shield & arrow damage, siege weapons)
  • Multiplayer compatible between all Mac versions (DVD, MAS & other download stores)
  • DVD no longer required in drive to play (Boxed)

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
We just patched Rome with loads of shiny goodies.

http://support.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-games/rometw/updates/#release_history

Version: 1.3
Released on: 17 May 2013

• Now with Retina support
  • Graphical enhancements (including death animations, shadows and World map)
  • Stability improvements and crash fixes (including custom battles and end turn)
  • AI and game balancing improvements (including Phalanx AI, shield & arrow damage, siege weapons)
  • Multiplayer compatible between all Mac versions (DVD, MAS & other download stores)
  • DVD no longer required in drive to play (Boxed)

Sounds good. I may have to pop in the disk to play again this weekend. I really wish this would be playable without the disk. I've been hooked on Crusader Kings II recently.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Holy necro batman! This thread hadn't seen a post in over two years and was older than that, questioning when the game would come out. lol

I made a new post proclaiming the goodness of the new update and thanking Feral publicly for it. I even saw this thread just before doing so but didn't bother to open it. I figured somebody must have meant Rome Total War 2: Will It Ever Come Out? and they forgot the 2. :D

Well, here I am after you about this Edwin but I am also guilty of making an assumption and you know what they say about those...

It's great news. Thank for being so good about supporting your games and the time you spend here informing and interacting with us.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I really wish this would be playable without the disk.

I really wish you would read the post ;) I refer you to the final line of the patch features list.

DVD no longer required in drive to play (Boxed)

So yeah we have that covered :)

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Does that imply other updates for older games are coming? :)

As we support out titles for the long term and have released many many patches over the years to fix issues and to add new features I don't think it's a secret that we have more patches coming over time. :)

What games and when now that's (mostly) a secret.

Edwin

(next patch up is Empire)

maikiri

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
Hey guys,

I recently downloaded RTW Gold from the Mac App store and I cannot find a folder named RomeData.dmg - there was only one named Data. There was no way to create a read/write disk image that i knew and i ended up just sticking the RTR mod into the Data folder and specifying in the advanced section of the startup menu that I want to run RTR.

Everything ingame works fine - I can actually play RTR even though the initial screen looks different. However, every time I try to save a game, the system says it fails. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you so much

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
However, every time I try to save a game, the system says it fails. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Apple have strict sandbox rules for all new applications and patches that mean you have to "sandbox" the application. This means the application cannot save files inside the data folder. Any mod that tries will fail. If you have some modding knowledge you can modify the mod yourself to no longer using the pre game mod:RTR command (basically embed the mod into the main game data) so the main game runs as the mod instead if the switch.

This rule on sandboxing by Apple is not avoidable and it is something Apple enforce without fail as part of the submission process to the Mac App Store. When the store first launched Apple did not have this rule which is why the previous version had easier support for modders.

This does make modding very tricky for MAS owners which is why we recommend modders always by the Feral store version as our version is not restricted by rules unlike the Mac App Store version which has had more and more rules over time that prevent features like modding from being easily accessible.

We are looking to see if we can come up with a solution to allow modding easily in the Mac App Store while not breaking Apple's rules. However as Apple sandboxing rules are designed to stop people modifying applications it means it is designed to make modding difficult.

However any suggestions or workaround will not be for a few weeks as we are all focused on Empire and Napoleon releases that are coming in the next few weeks/month.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.