Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
My iPad 2 that I had for a year and a half was recently stolen (not willing to discuss as to what happened) and I want another tablet. Should I go for another iPad 2, or get a mini? I'm not really too fond of the heavier/thicker iPad 3/4 and don't really want to spend 500$+ right now on an iPad. When I had my iPad I would normally use it for web browsing, watching movies, and email.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'd go with the mini for size alone. Although, I do wish it was a performance upgrade from my iPad 2.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
From what you said it sounds like you should purchase the ipad 2 or a mini.

BUT. The ipad 4 is a work horse. It is very fast and has a amazing screen. So it depends. If you dont want to spend the money then the mini is good. But the ipad 4 is very much worth every penny.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
My iPad 2 that I had for a year and a half was recently stolen (not willing to discuss as to what happened) and I want another tablet. Should I go for another iPad 2, or get a mini? I'm not really too fond of the heavier/thicker iPad 3/4 and don't really want to spend 500$+ right now on an iPad. When I had my iPad I would normally use it for web browsing, watching movies, and email.

The Mini sounds like it would be a good fit for you, since its a good price for your budget and for your needs

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Tough to say with your situation.

The cheapest new iPad 2 is $399.

The new 4.0 iPad is $499.

The iPad Mini is $349.

I guess it depends on your situation. Is getting the supposed best iPad not worth the $150 difference? The iPad Mini is basically a smaller version of the iPad 2. Pretty much the same processor and same display (no retina display).

Also, you said you really don't like the size/weight of the new iPad.

Are you completely set on staying with Apple?

There are some really good iPad Mini sized tablets out there for around $200. Problem is that you are leaving the iOS ecosystem and apps you paid for aren't available (you would have to basically re-buy them in Google Play).

So, I guess it really ends up being a choice regarding your preferences/budget, etc.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

I sold my ipad 2 and got the mini on launch day. Then I returned it and got the 16 gig LTE model and am very happy. The screen quality is fine, the cameras are better, it's lighter and easier to carry. I love the mini.

magus1962

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Rockland County, New York
Ipad Mini is more convenient, I like it better that the iPad 2

Fits in my coat pocket, can hold it and maneuver it with one hand. I don't play games, so I can't rate game performance. I enjoy web browsing, reading and pretty much everything else you can use the iPad for. Beware there are App Store and iTunes issues that require work arounds. Best table for its size..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.