Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
53kyle
macrumors 65816
 
53kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Anywhere in time and space.
Just Throwing This Out There About Flash Plugin

Does it seem possible that apple blocked flash plugin as apple has done with java plugin a couple of times? I went into safari and it immediately said something about flash being out of date and that it was blocked. Sure enough youtube said "blocked plug-in." Then I clicked on the popup because I thought it was legit. Now I am afraid I just got myself a virus or something. Can someone reassure me that it was legit, not a virus?
__________________
 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB, OS X 10.10;
 Mac Mini, 1.42 GHz PPC G4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB;
 Space Gray iPhone 6, 64 GB, T-Mobile;
 White iPad 3, 64 GB, T-Mobile;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:56 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
Does it seem possible that apple blocked flash plugin as apple has done with java plugin a couple of times? I went into safari and it immediately said something about flash being out of date and that it was blocked. Sure enough youtube said "blocked plug-in." Then I clicked on the popup because I thought it was legit. Now I am afraid I just got myself a virus or something. Can someone reassure me that it was legit, not a virus?
There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild, and only a few trojans. Your problem has nothing to do with malware.
Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
I use Flash on Safari with ClickToFlash to control which content plays, and I have zero issues with it. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Install ClickToPlugin (Safari) to prevent Safari from launching plug-ins automatically, resulting in faster browsing, reduced fan usage, and increased battery life. It can also replace many plug-in-based media players with Safari’s native HTML5 media player.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:43 PM   #3
53kyle
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
53kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Anywhere in time and space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild, and only a few trojans. Your problem has nothing to do with malware.
Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
I use Flash on Safari with ClickToFlash to control which content plays, and I have zero issues with it. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Install ClickToPlugin (Safari) to prevent Safari from launching plug-ins automatically, resulting in faster browsing, reduced fan usage, and increased battery life. It can also replace many plug-in-based media players with Safari’s native HTML5 media player.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.
I actually remember a virus with a fake mac flash player installer, so I thought that it might be possible. Thanks for that though.

EDIT: That was probably a trojan.
__________________
 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB, OS X 10.10;
 Mac Mini, 1.42 GHz PPC G4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB;
 Space Gray iPhone 6, 64 GB, T-Mobile;
 White iPad 3, 64 GB, T-Mobile;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
I actually remember a virus with a fake mac flash player installer, so I thought that it might be possible. Thanks for that though.
It wasn't a virus. It was a trojan, that you had to install yourself. Read the FAQ I posted to learn the difference.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:21 AM   #5
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
Does it seem possible that apple blocked flash plugin as apple has done with java plugin a couple of times? I went into safari and it immediately said something about flash being out of date and that it was blocked.
Firefox does the same.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Firefox does the same.
Good to know it's not just Safari. If it's for the same reason, it's a security measure: Flash plugin is blocked?
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:37 AM   #7
vmachiel
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Holland
Just make sure flash is updated to the latest version
__________________
2010 MBP, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD; 32GB Silver iPhone 5S; 32 GB Wifi iPad (3rd gen)
vmachiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Yes, there was a new version of Flash released today to counter a serious exploit.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:26 AM   #9
MyNameIsDave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blighty
I had the same issue this morning.

If Apple blocked the Java plugin, it's entirely probable that they blocked the Flash plugin as well.
MyNameIsDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Flash just needs to die. I can't believe all the content still out there. Unfortunately it will be here for a while.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:31 AM   #11
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Flash just needs to die. I can't believe all the content still out there. Unfortunately it will be here for a while.
It all hangs on the porn industry. Some offer their clips in a non-Flash format already, but the majority still offers its contents via Flash.

Once they successfully convert to non-Flash clips, the rest will follow.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:32 AM   #12
MyNameIsDave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blighty
More info here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16811709
MyNameIsDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:52 PM   #13
DJLC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mooresville, NC
Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Firefox does the same.
Not in my experience...

Blocked plugins (Java & Flash) are really starting to piss me off. I administer 200 MacBook Airs for a middle school that has them deployed in a one-to-one initiative. The kids take them home and obviously don't have admin rights. So these constantly blocked plugins have been my downfall. Sure, I can push out the updates via ARD with our Task Server, but that's not always 100%.

We've ended up telling the kids to use Firefox or Chrome. Those browsers don't care if Flash is out-of-date; Safari does. I wish we could just relax all this heightened security or get rid of all these pesky plugins. There's really not much to exploit in my case. Even if malicious software gets in there are no admin rights. >.<
__________________
-John Mairs

Last edited by DJLC; Feb 8, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
DJLC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #14
TallGuyGT
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I primarily use Safari, but have Chrome for sites that require Flash. I do not want Flash infecting my system (at least it's contained in Chrome).

I do most of my casual web surfing on iPad anyway. It's annoying that some sites provide HTML5 video on iPad, but require Flash on Mac or PC.

Yes, Flash needs to die.
TallGuyGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Constant issues with Flash plugin! nope7308 MacBook Pro 12 Apr 16, 2014 04:29 AM
Firefox/Safari Flash plugin causes network problems? pimpim68 OS X 1 Jan 23, 2014 10:07 AM
Flash plugin is blocked? MacMan988 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Feb 8, 2013 01:35 AM
Adobe Flash plugin keeps disappearing... Jessica Lares Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Aug 28, 2012 11:13 AM
Where do I find the plugin for Flash Player asattwanger Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 5 Jul 15, 2012 03:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC