Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Hey guys

Had my 27' beast less than a day and whilst I am very pleased with this machine, I have noticed that FCPX has crashed a few times which alarms me slightly

Is anyone aware of any such problems with FCPX and the new hardware?

PavelT

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
it crashed on me twice, while editing a title...but thats been it, so far....but i dont think its fcx to blame..

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
This is a worrying response from the apple forum

"Sorry to hear it. There is a long, pained set of postings on this subject here. I think that it's fair to say in summary that most people think that the feature people have in common is the video card.

There is evidence that Apple and FCP X engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a fix but nobody knows when it will come or how it will solve the problem(s.)

jaimejaime

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hm, the only software I've had issues with thus far is Capture One Pro 7. I've found Capture One to be somewhat unstable from 4.0 onwards though, so I've just been chalking it up to that.

Lebthree

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
I ordered a fully loaded imac and after becoming aware of this issue, I didn't even open the box when it arrived. I sent it back. I ordered the unit primarily to use for fcpx and considering the expense of the imac and the uncertainty associated with its compatibility with fcpx, I decided to wait for the resolution of this issue. Hopefully, it is an issue that will soon be resolved with a software patch. As I am not in despirate need of the imac for other uses, I decided that it was not worth the risk of it being an irresolvable issue. More information on the issue can be found at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4707372?start=0&tstart=0

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is a known issue with FCPX and the 680mx card in the new Imac. Apple is working on a fix, but for now avoid titles, causes it the freeze and crash (unless it is rendered quickly).

Hopefully is gets fixed soon, because this is quite annoying.

PavelT

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
This is a known issue with FCPX and the 680mx card in the new Imac. Apple is working on a fix, but for now avoid titles, causes it the freeze and crash (unless it is rendered quickly).

Hopefully is gets fixed soon, because this is quite annoying.

that makes total sense, because it only crashed on title renders. and i have 680 card. this sucks, hope theres a fix soon.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Its wrong to sell me the top spec for use with FCPX when its clearly not working.

Wait till I speak to the apple reps next tuesday in the shop :cool:

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
This problem is really getting big now, some websites are starting to mention the problems, This machine was recommend to me for use with FCPX so its really poor if apple dont fix this quick as a lot of people who buy the top spec model will have FCPX in their workflow

BEWARE anyone wanting the high end imac 27" with 680mx, FCPX crashes constantly!!!

mrcliffsr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Title issue

Yes, that was my problem too. A new iMac with the 680MX and a 1TB Fusion drive.
During an edit with FCP X it would slow down while rendering titles and finally freeze.
Also had the same problem with Motion 5. This was with titles too. the machine would slow down to about 6 FPS then freeze. Not even a cursor.
I talked to Apple rep. 3 times then took it to the Apple Store and demonstrated the issue.
They reloaded the OS.
Next day I took it back and they ordered a new machine for me.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a replacement? It was ordered on the 15th of Feb.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Are they going to change the 680mx for the 675?

This issue with FCPX and the 680mx is spiraling out of control, we are all spending a lot of money so that FCP will glide and make our lives easier but this is a real show stopper!!

WARNING: anyone buying the i7 with 680mx, FCPX doesnt work properly with it.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Wow the bad news seem to never stop.
First the poor build quality, then the long delays now final cut.
I must say I'm on the same boat as you guys. I wanted to use it among other things with final cut. I just hope apple fixes the problem soon.

The good news is that since I'm still waiting for the delivery of my machine I won't have to suffer through Final cut's crashes! :D:D

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Wow the bad news seem to never stop.
First the poor build quality, then the long delays now final cut.
I must say I'm on the same boat as you guys. I wanted to use it among other things with final cut. I just hope apple fixes the problem soon.

The good news is that since I'm still waiting for the delivery of my machine I won't have to suffer through Final cut's crashes! :D:D

the machine is brilliant, remember the FCPX issue seems to revolve around the 680mx and adding text/transitions.

I had no manufacturing problems with mine :)

minus182

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
Just a tad off topic, I have had problems (constant crashes) with FCPX on my late 2008 MBP. Have always assumed that it's FCPX which is the unstable one.

I'll just stick to FCP7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.