Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Can you upgrade to a Fusion drive later on?

My dad picked up a 21.5 iMac base model a couple of weeks ago and its works fine for him. However I am wondering if its possible at some point to bring it into an Apple store or reseller to have it upgraded with a Fusion drive.

I wonder how much it would cost in terms of the parts and labour too...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest64 View Post
My dad picked up a 21.5 iMac base model a couple of weeks ago and its works fine for him. However I am wondering if its possible at some point to bring it into an Apple store or reseller to have it upgraded with a Fusion drive.

the 21.5 base doesnt have the blade connector for the SSD, at least that's what early reports showed during a teardown. The 27 did though.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
the 21.5 base doesnt have the blade connector for the SSD, at least that's what early reports showed during a teardown. The 27 did though.
Oh you are right. I remember that. The other option is to have them install an SSD I guess.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:

You best bet is to call and ask if it is possible to do and how much it would cost. And if you do do this, make sure you have a good backup or two of the system before bringing it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
Actually that changed fairly quickly, you can get the fusion drive on any current iMac model.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Arfdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Ask Apple but all iMacs have the blade connector now. But it's likely to be a big hassle and aftermarket blades aren't that much cheaper than Apples.... just get it to begin with.
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:02 PM   #6
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I asked recently about upgrading a mini, and the Apple Store people told me they do not do upgrades of HDDs or SSDs.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:29 AM   #7
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:

No Apple stores will not do that type of upgrade, the best chance of any upgrade is using an AASP.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Perk10
macrumors newbie

what is your primary reason for wanting a Fusion Drive, if you don't mind my asking...
iPod Touch Gen2 8g
Perk10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:59 AM   #9
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
No Apple stores will not do that type of upgrade, the best chance of any upgrade is using an AASP.
core care in sacramento California will....business advertisement plug.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Personally I'd contact Apple and see if you can swap your iMac for a new one with Fusion and pay the difference, isn't there a grace period of a couple of weeks if you're not happy with you purchase?

It couldn't hurt to ask.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:54 AM   #11
trustever
macrumors 6502

If you like to have a 128GB or 256GB fusion the easiest way is to get an external USB3 or TB caddy and keep it on the pedestal. In the market there are some very nice one and your dad will never notice any difference with the internal fusion.
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Or, considering the prices of those 'blade SSDs', you could just have somebody swap the (supposedly 1TB) hard drive for a 960GB Crucial M500 SSD and use external storage if the need to augment that ever arises.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk10 View Post
what is your primary reason for wanting a Fusion Drive, if you don't mind my asking...
Honestly my father doesn't 'need' a fusion drive but I was wondering if it were possible to have it upgraded. Where he lives there are several authorized apple dealers. His current machine is more than enough for his needs right now. Eventually the system will start to bog down once he fills up that hard drive though as all hard drives do. It's just nice to know he can spend a $200 to $300 to upgrade his machine later on and get some more life out of it.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

If you want "more speed", just pick up the SSD of your choice and put it into an external USB3 enclosure and hook it up to a USB port.

Connected this way, it will boot and run nearly-as-fast as would a fusion drive (perhaps even faster for some tasks, since you would be interacting with only the SSD and not the HDD drive).

You don't have to pay to have the iMac pried open.
Cheaper, easier, just-as-fast.

It -is- possible to "fuse" the internal HDD with a USB-encased SSD, but I really don't see any reason to do so.

One thing -- you'll have to get used to having -two- drive icons on the desktop (one for the internal HDD, one for the external SSD). That's easy to manage.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:45 PM   #15
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
If you want "more speed", just pick up the SSD of your choice and put it into an external USB3 enclosure and hook it up to a USB port.

Connected this way, it will boot and run nearly-as-fast as would a fusion drive (perhaps even faster for some tasks, since you would be interacting with only the SSD and not the HDD drive).

You don't have to pay to have the iMac pried open.
Cheaper, easier, just-as-fast.

It -is- possible to "fuse" the internal HDD with a USB-encased SSD, but I really don't see any reason to do so.

One thing -- you'll have to get used to having -two- drive icons on the desktop (one for the internal HDD, one for the external SSD). That's easy to manage.

Or one can do what I did and make their own Fusion Drive from a External SSD Drive. With my 2012 iMac i converted my 3 TB HD iMac into a 4 TB Fusion Drive. I tend to believe you can benefit from a Fusion Drive. Things work faster, smoother, and you save time. Especially if you move files. Keep in mind if you move files from drive to drive the lowest speed of both drives will be the speed you get when copying. But overall performance and file seeking and rendering if you do movies will be much improved. What type of performance did i get? See below.

Bought: 2014 27" Retina iMac 4.0GHz i7,32GB Ram, 1TB SSD Drive,M295X 4Gb - Express Shipping coming Oct 22, 10:30 AM PST
WizardHunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:09 PM   #16
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastingPig View Post
core care in sacramento California will....business advertisement plug.
Yes I know, I've spoken to them.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:40 PM   #17
Perk10
macrumors newbie

I bought a 21.5" "Base model" about 5 days ago. So far I absolutely love it. I am more of an average joe than you guys when it comes to computers. I use it mostly for email, web browsing, and photo sharing.

Is there any reason I would need a fusion drive? This isnt the first time I've heard this. Coming from a 2007 Toshiba, this is a hell of an upgrade for me....
iPod Touch Gen2 8g
Perk10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:47 PM   #18
macalec
macrumors 6502

They have had the no hard drive swap policy for a number of years now. They want everyone to do the BTO on their site.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac