Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cudo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
Hi there,

there is one thing stopping me from using Safari at the moment. The lack of address bar acting as a google search. Is there a hack/plugin to make it possible. I have come across keywurl plugin but it seems to be unsupported with the latest safari 5.

Are there any other solutions to make it happen and make me one happy camper?

Cheers

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Do you have something against using the google search bar that can be located right next to the address bar?

Not trying to be a smarta**, just asking the question.

cudo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
Do you have something against using the google search bar that can be located right next to the address bar?

Not trying to be a smarta**, just asking the question.

Nothing. Just want to be as comfortable while browsing as possible. When you hit cmd+ t to open new tab, the address bar is active by default so it involves me to either hit tab or use mouse to switch which is annoying as all other browsers offers this feature.

In other words I want to use Apple Safari but don't want to compromise any features offered by others I find useful.

Is that good enough?

cudo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
Well I guess you have not read my initial post or the last one for that instance. I know of a keywurl but it is not support by Safari 5 and as to the, also mentioned by me, tab function it is not the what I am looking for.

This is forum, I want to find solution to a problem not an alternative.

ZipOnTrousers

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011

np0000000

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
Well I guess you have not read my initial post or the last one for that instance. I know of a keywurl but it is not support by Safari 5 and as to the, also mentioned by me, tab function it is not the what I am looking for.

This is forum, I want to find solution to a problem not an alternative.

here is a solution: when you Command+T extend your pinky finger and hit tab.

this is possible to do in one motion and its very simple to do.

Zip answered your question the first time.

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Plug-in system is glitchy and it freezes the entire browser after a while on MR's Forum Spy. Those are my reasons at least.

In my experience as well as working with a bunch of IT clients who are all on macs, Safari freezes, requires a force quit much more often, and is less compatible with the web in general when compared with Chrome. But, to each his own.

At least for me though, command+L takes me right to the google search.

Best of luck with your search.

Tavison

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
here is a solution: when you Command+T extend your pinky finger and hit tab.

this is possible to do in one motion and its very simple to do.

Zip answered your question the first time.

How does extending my pinky give me a drop down of a mix of matching history and suggested search terms plus search generated URLs like Chrome does? Why do I have to modify my habits to use a tool that is lacking common features? Why mock someone's question because they wonder why so many similar tools offer this useful feature but Safari does not?

I just downloaded Safari today because of the great color management and this question was my first search. Is this indicative of what I have to look forward to?

jAguero16

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Singapore
Sorry to bring up an extremely old thread; but I'm having difficulty with using the address bar as the search bar as well. Just wondering does anyone actually have a ready-solution to bypass this border?

For those of you saying it's just extending your little pinky out and tapping 'tab', when you do this 100 times (which I normally do in a day, new tab then type whatever I want to look for in Google Chrome), it REALLY becomes a hassle. No joke.

The only thing that is stopping me from fulling transitioning well into Safari is this. If it gets resolve it will enhance my surfing experience so much more.

That being said, I love what Safari has to offer - stability, no bugs/fixes required, heck, even additional plugins just to fix some internal loopholes like some other browsers out there. Hopefully someone out there has a solution and sees this. Thanks!

Trance

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you're looking for safari omnibar extension.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you're looking for safari omnibar extension.

Yeah this is it. Incredibly easy to install and works great. Only it's not a Safari extension. It's a plugin you have to install since I don't think Apple allows much customization of Safari with extensions.

But I think Apple should just just merge the address and the search bar together. It doesn't make any sense having them separate.

jrws

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
@Cudo

I share with you the complaint about Safari's address bar/search bear isolation, and your frustration with people who offer other workarounds when your OP clearly states you are aware of other ways to do use Safari for web search and that you specifically are looking for a plugin or plist-type hack. :confused:

As Trance and other's have stated, the a SIMBL plugin called omnibar should do the trick. I also prefer os x daily's article on it, as it also includes instructions on removing it if it isn't what you are after:
http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/05/safari-omnibar-combine-safari-url-and-search-bar/ or http://www.delicious.com/jaronsampson/safari+omnibar if that link gets moved.

Enjoy, Jaron

p.s. As to the why it is the way it is what it is: IE and Chrome have integrated web protocol address routing misses with web search because both are built by companies with major search revenues. Mozilla makes most of its revenues through sharing these revenues, mostly with google (https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2007/10/22/beyond-sustainability/). Since Apple has no search product of their own, I do not see it in Apple's best interest to help two of their biggest competitors, so despite it being a UX PITA, I doubt they will change it themselves. To Apple's credit, although this in general runs counter to their generally excellent software user experiences, and besides protecting their company financials, they are actually keeping Safari simpler and therefore your whole OS safer for us. The proliferation of toolbars and other, mostly unregulated, browser extensions and plug-ins have sometimes introduced additional attack vectors for nefarious forces.

I use Chrome more often than Safari myself, as with Chrome I felt they have done what good software companies do (which I consider Apple to usually be), and put user experience and adoption ahead of revenue streams for the software product (a la Facebook). On the other hand, the meme that Google wants to "do no evil" is really just PR spin. In business partnerships they play the part of a 900 pound gorilla, and there is ample other evidence that they put the bottom-line first. Like all corporations, they are legally bound to do so. Here is the latest news I have seen, but there are many other stories which demonstrate the same contradictions between public image and corporate actions: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/0...-google-225-million-over-safari-privacy-abuse

Last edited:

orvn

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I dunno if it works as I haven't tried myself, but have you seen the method described on these sites? It may help you get keywurl working if you really want this feature. I'm not aware of any other ways, although I'm sure there must be something else somewhere.

http://www.cynicologist.com/keywurl-for-safari-5-download-hack/

http://hacketal.com/making-keywurl-work-with-safari-5

Hello,

I wrote the former blog post and I ought to mention that it doesn't work for Safari 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.