Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I am looking for a Text-to-Speech program that allows me to sweep over large batch of text (i.e. 20-40 pages in Word) and have it turn that into speech which I can then export as a .wav or .mp3.

Purpose is listening to assignments during my early-morning commute to graduate school after working late the night before left little time for reading, or if I want to review. Right now I've enabled speech on my macbook pro and have been opening the laptop on my passenger seat and having it read to me, but I want to be able to burn to a CD and run through the stereo.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Alternatively you could find a way to get sound from your Mac to your car stereo. The best way would be to plug into an Aux input, if your stereo has one. You could also use one of those CD to cassette plug-ins if you have a cassette player, or an FM transmitter.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
No, and this is the problem. My stereo does not have an aux input; it does have a tape deck (amazingly, as it's a 2004; must've been one of the last) but right about the time several months ago I bought a cassette converter, the tape deck stopped working.

I would also like to be able to burn onto CD for future reference and to be able to pause (say, if I get a phone call). The problem with just sweeping over that many pages and having the macbook read it is you cannot pause.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Never mind! I solved the problem -- this can all be done through OSX; all that needed to be done was first save the Word doc as a PDF and then, when you highlight text in the PDF and 'right click' (for me holding down control), there is an option to export to iTunes as TTS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.