Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
After reading this article:

http://thoughtfuldesign.net/how-will-the-iphone5-wear

I was struck by how beautiful the original iphone wore after a few years of use. The article has convinced me to keep my recently ordered iphone 5 "naked" and even has me reconsidering my decision to go with the white one. The black one may end up looking better after a few years time...

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
One can get immersed in the different options and reviews on this.

Really it's down to personnel choice.

Personally I use a bumper on my iPhone 5 for grip purposes only.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Its personal preference. For me the big thing is dropping it. For that I have a case. If I knew I would never drop it but it may get scratched up on a desk after a few years or slight cosmetic damage I may reconsider. But dropping it "could" permanently damage it functionality-wise too.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Recently, I've been back and forth with case and without (incipio dual pro). I just ordered a transparent skin from Best Skins Ever. I'm giong to apply it and see how it goes. I sit at a desk for the majority of the day which poses little threat to the iPhone.

I'm not immune from dropping the thing... but at the same time, I did purchase an AppleCare+ warranty for it.

I'm still unsure. There are certainly times when a case is most appropriate but at the same time, I want to tell myself "It's a phone and it has a warranty... just use it as it was intended to be used".

We'll see how I feel after the BSE skin comes and gets applied.

I like the grip that a case affords -- it's still hard getting used to having such a slick, thin device in my hand. At the same time, I love the way the thing is in my pocket without a case. Feels much more obtuse and less like a tumor.

Maybe I should have looked into a bumper for it? I don't know. All I can say is that the case was about $20 and the BSE was about $10 so that puts me at $30 for protection. Another $20 and I could have just saved $50 for my first AC+ deductible.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
No case for me. I bought AppleCare +. I do have a case for going to the gym, possibly vacations, etc. I prefer the feel of it without a case.

imacadoo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Westchester, NY
I just love the power support air jacket. Black one because it isn't slick and has some grip. It adds virtually nothing to the size of the phone. My fav used to be the case mate barely there case. Had it with the 4s but the version for the 5 adds a pad but also adds to the thickness. Still amazed at how the air jacket is as close to the size of the actual phone as I would think possible. I'm very careful with the phone so I don't need a vault to protect it.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Recently, I've been back and forth with case and without (incipio dual pro). ........
Maybe I should have looked into a bumper for it? I don't know. All I can say is that the case was about $20 and the BSE was about $10 so that puts me at $30 for protection. Another $20 and I could have just saved $50 for my first AC+ deductible.

Exactly. Saving the money and just using it for the AC+ deductible also makes sense because you're basically getting a battery, logic board, screen, etc. replacement, which you arguably can recoup when you sell off the phone after the contract is up.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
My original iPhone got badly scratched after about a year. My only issue with it was that awful "metal smell" that got on my hands.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
We're going about this whole case thing wrong
You're confusing "we" and "I". It's a matter of preference just as it has always been -- for every device, not just the iPhone.

Exactly. Saving the money and just using it for the AC+ deductible also makes sense because you're basically getting a battery, logic board, screen, etc. replacement, which you arguably can recoup when you sell off the phone after the contract is up.
What does or doesn't make sense is a subjective matter. It makes sense to you. It makes sense to others. That said, it's not the preferred option for everyone for various reasons. Don't just assume that your needs/wants are universal no matter what the topic.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
You're confusing "we" and "I". It's a matter of preference just as it has always been -- for every device, not just the iPhone.

What does or doesn't make sense is a subjective matter. It makes sense to you. It makes sense to others. That said, it's not the preferred option for everyone for various reasons. Don't just assume that your needs/wants are universal no matter what the topic.

While it is impossible to have a debate with anyone completely fixated on their belief I will suspend my own feelings toward the phone and see where the OP is coming from. Much like our process of aging brings with it's fair share of blemishes and scars and I can see why allowing your phone to go through the same process would be logical. While most people like to sell their iPhones in order to self subsidize the next I think that having a phone that shows what it's been through is kind of an interesting idea. However, I'm a subsidizer so I'll be keeping this guy in tip top shape.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Seriously another thread about this??

If you like your phone naked, as i do, just get a nice leather sleeve for it so you can stick in your pocket with keys and change worry-free, and pull it out of the sleeve when you want to use it.

This way, your iphone will keep it new-phone look for 2 years easy.

The sleeve is also comfortoble holding for example during a work out and also protecting the iphone from sweat and accidental drops.

Youre welcome.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine

Obviously I'm not positing that there is one and only one correct choice for everyone. I think you may be missing the point of this forum.... I'm just saying, with applecare plus, you basically get a brand new phone for $50. Spending upto 60 dollars on a case becomes a less appealing proposition...

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Obviously I'm not positing that there is one and only one correct choice for everyone. I think you may be missing the point of this forum.... I'm just saying, with applecare plus, you basically get a brand new phone for $50. Spending upto 60 dollars on a case becomes a less appealing proposition...

I agree with you 100% but I'm sure he will come back and say that opinion may work for you but isn't shared by blah, blah, blah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.