Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:50 PM   #51
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy View Post
I should be getting my new M4 on Monday. Looking forward to joining your discussion!
That's great ... were you able to return your questionable one for a refund?

Hope the new one is a more pleasant experience, and please post the results of your upgrade here.


-howard
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:26 PM   #52
tonyy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
That's great ... were you able to return your questionable one for a refund?

Hope the new one is a more pleasant experience, and please post the results of your upgrade here.


-howard
Yep, just sent it out on Friday so I should be getting a full refund soon.

Also, do I need a Windows computer to update the FW on the M4? I don't run parallels or anything on this machine. So I don't have any way of getting the new FW on this SSD.
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:42 PM   #53
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy View Post
Yep, just sent it out on Friday so I should be getting a full refund soon.

Also, do I need a Windows computer to update the FW on the M4? I don't run parallels or anything on this machine. So I don't have any way of getting the new FW on this SSD.
The firmware comes as a dedicated .iso file containing the specific update file which you can run on your Mac. It needs to be burned to a CD with Disk Utility and then becomes a bootable Linux OS which then auto-runs the Crucial updater program. It will find your SSD and then update the firmware (nondestructively to your data contained on the SSD).
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:12 PM   #54
tonyy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
The firmware comes as a dedicated .iso file containing the specific update file which you can run on your Mac. It needs to be burned to a CD with Disk Utility and then becomes a bootable Linux OS which then auto-runs the Crucial updater program. It will find your SSD and then update the firmware (nondestructively to your data contained on the SSD).
Thanks. Doesn't sound too hard. I got my M4 installed and its currently running the Rev. 309. I suppose if I run into issues I may update it but so far no issues.

And finally, I'm getting 3 gb/s! It's not out of this world numbers like you guys on Sata III but this will do. Way better than what I was getting last week!

I think I may purchase another M4 and plug it into the ODD and run a Raid 0 setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskSpeedTest.png
Views:	7
Size:	741.0 KB
ID:	382813  
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:14 PM   #55
tonyy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
That's great ... were you able to return your questionable one for a refund?

Hope the new one is a more pleasant experience, and please post the results of your upgrade here.


-howard
Also, are you enabling TRIM in any of your setups?
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:21 PM   #56
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy View Post
Also, are you enabling TRIM in any of your setups?
I don't know if it is really necessary ... but yes, I did enable TRIM.

Crucial and OWC claim their built in "garbage collection" is adequate and no TRIM is needed ... but it doesn't seem to hurt either.

Your DiskSpeedTest results look pretty normal for the M4 on SATA-II. Congratulations!

-howard
hfg is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Request: Xbench SSD results for a stock MBP with SSD ls1dreams MacBook Pro 3 Dec 21, 2013 06:13 PM
Geekbench results dropped from 5900 to 2700 after SSD upgrade deafgoose MacBook Pro 21 Feb 12, 2013 07:29 PM
how are these ssd speedtest results? bigboar MacBook Pro 13 Nov 29, 2012 11:20 AM
2.6 i7 256gb ssd results satirev Mac mini 17 Nov 2, 2012 02:11 PM
Results of a SSD install...... Ifti MacBook Pro 0 Aug 24, 2012 12:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC