Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Verbatim Cookie
macrumors regular

Just got spam from Apple ("We spoke too soon") out of the blue

I just received spam from Apple with the subject line "We spoke too soon." It's about the iPhone getting the "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Consumer Smartphones" distinction from J.D. Power and Associates for the ninth consecutive time. Trouble is, I'm fairly certain I didn't give them permission to send such email to the address this was sent to. The only time I remember giving this address to Apple was when I paid for one track from the iTunes Store by "charging" it to this AOL account. As I haven't paid for AOL service in God knows how long, this happened years ago — possibly even a decade ago. EDIT: I looked up the track that I bought. It was released in 2006 so I made this purchase 6-7 years ago.

This is not cool, Apple. Dare I say, it even reeks of desperation.

Last edited by Verbatim Cookie; Mar 22, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Verbatim Cookie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:11 PM   #2
frhall
macrumors newbie

Verbatim: Thank you for posting this. It looked like spam to me too.

Last edited by OllyW; Mar 22, 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: response to deleted post
frhall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

Personally I see a difference between spam and bulk email. this is bulk to me. spam has phishing links or the like. Isn't it a marketing technic? I don't see any desperation in that email...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Verbatim Cookie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfitz14 View Post
Personally I see a difference between spam and bulk email. this is bulk to me. spam has phishing links or the like. Isn't it a marketing technic? I don't see any desperation in that email...
I don't know the major dictionaries' definitions for "spam" but that's what I call unsolicited commercial email even if it's from a reputable company. Also, what I find desperate isn't the content of the email but the fact that it seems Apple went deep into its archives to get one more email address to send this email to.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Apple emailed me so much that they got automatically put on the spam list, for both my @me account and my @outlook.

Every single public holiday I get emails about how an iPad or iPods are the perfect gift for valentines day/mother's day/father's day/Christmas/Tuesday. I sometimes check my junk folder and they're in there.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Apple send emails to their users on a regular basis. Just click Junk and you'll never see them again.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:18 PM   #7
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

At first, I thought it was a scammer pretending to be apple...
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:33 AM   #8
NewAnger
Banned

I finally unsubscribed from those emails after this latest one.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:12 AM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim Cookie View Post
This is not cool, Apple. Dare I say, it even reeks of desperation.
"Reeks of desperation": That's what people say when they claim motivation for actions that isn't there. The most disgusting way to mislead people is to claim something "reeks of desperation". In a debate, if someone accuses someone else of "acting out of desperation", everyone needs to know that this is just a cheap attack.

Anyway, at some points where you contact Apple, Apple offers to keep you up-to-date with information about their products. You can accept or decline these offers. If you accept, guess what, you get emails informing you about Apple's products. You'll find a link somewhere saying "unsubscribe here" if you added yourself to a mailing list by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim Cookie View Post
I don't know the major dictionaries' definitions for "spam" but that's what I call unsolicited commercial email even if it's from a reputable company. Also, what I find desperate isn't the content of the email but the fact that it seems Apple went deep into its archives to get one more email address to send this email to.
What's the bet that this isn't unsolicited but was solicited by you at some point?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
What's the bet that this isn't unsolicited but was solicited by you at some point?
Yes, Apple don't send unsolicited email, at all. Heck, given how hot regulators are with them due to their rather large bank balance, it'd cost them a fortune if they ever did!

At some point, you have ticked the box that says "send me offers and product information". Or more likely, forgotten to untick the box.

And as said above, when you make an argument by saying something "reeks of desperation", you kind of lose the argument immediately.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:12 AM   #11
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a

Has Apple really captured this much detailed interest? What's next, "Apple executive farts into the seat cushion on an airplane while ordering orange juice from flight attendant"? I get bulk mail almost daily from Microsoft, Dell, HP, etc... Apple isn't doing anything "more / less shady" than any of these other companies.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Verbatim Cookie
macrumors regular

Most of you missed my point. The email address in question had not received any email (commercial or otherwise) from Apple for as long as I can remember. (No, I do not suffer from memory loss. ) Therefore, either I never gave Apple my consent to send commercial email to this address, or, if I had, I clicked on a link in the last one I received to unsubscribe. I did the latter for the email address I use as my Apple ID so it's not as if I can't figure out how to do it. Thus gnasher729 would have lost that bet.

As for my "reeks of desperation" remark, first, I will say that reeks is a strong word and that something like smacks would have been better. Furthermore, the remark isn't an argument, as Brian Y characterized it; it is, I will admit, speculation. Nonetheless, it's not outside the realm of possibility, so it can't be dismissed out of hand as gnasher729 wishes it could be.

In any case, I did not unsubscribe this email address now because I want to see if it gets more spam (yes, spam) from Apple. If it doesn't, then that will be an indication that Apple realized it did something it should not have.

Last edited by Verbatim Cookie; Mar 27, 2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Verbatim Cookie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion