Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
But Windows nags every month with the blue screens. It couldn't even sleep properly. It was loud when the fans were on. The monitor was average, even though it was one of the best among the aftermarket.

These Windows-bluescreen stories are just stupid. I use Windows-based PCs professionally every day, at least for 10 hours, since about 20 years now.

I can't even remember my last bluescreen. It must've been under Windows NT 4.0 around year 2000 I guess. Never had one under XP or Windows 7. We have dozens of PCs in our office and people are working hard on them. No bluescreens either.

If Windows would crash daily it won't be the industry standard since 20 years I guess.

Loud fans are a result of cheap cases. Again, buy a better PC and you won't hear them.

My Mac Mini had a non-working HDMI port, a very basic and simple feature that Apple could only fix after 3 months of telling me that "this problem is totally new to us. We've never heard of snow and crushed out whites" while at the same time there were thousands of complaints on exactly the same issue. World class customer care ? I doubt that.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I was referring to 95% of desktop buyers, but if you want to be literal and miss the point, ok. 95% of desktop consumers aren't "power users" like yourself, and therefore wouldn't care about all that i'd wager.

"Friction stir welding" or just friction welding allows a cooler, more efficient computer. Which is what the iMac is all about. Speed comes second, although this latest iMac is damn fast.

• A desktop tower contains GTX Titan and granite base = some weird fancy 5h!t
  • Serviceability, upgrades and easy of access = stuff 95% people don't care about
  • Faster and better components, liquid cooling on PC computers = lingering in the past.

Meanwhile .. Aluminum case with great attention to details and engineering and sleekness, quietness factor while lock in my system so that even Apple would have a hard time fixing it = Oh this is a godly computer.

Yeah well, 95% of people don't give a F if iMac use friction stir welding, screen lamination and 5x thinner either. Just give the damn better and reasonable upgrades, but guess what, Apple could not offer it..

Point is ... you always dismiss and underestimate things, services, or features that PC companies provide on which Apple could not like there is no tomorrow.

But when Apple offers something equally gimmicky and silly, you praise it like it was the bestest thing life could ever provide. Some nice arsetitude you got there :cool:

Last edited:

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
These Windows-bluescreen stories are just stupid. I use Windows-based PCs professionally every day, at least for 10 hours, since about 20 years now.

I can't even remember my last bluescreen. It must've been under Windows NT 4.0 around year 2000 I guess. Never had one under XP or Windows 7. We have dozens of PCs in our office and people are working hard on them. No bluescreens either.

If Windows would crash daily it won't be the industry standard since 20 years I guess.

Loud fans are a result of cheap cases. Again, buy a better PC and you won't hear them.

My Mac Mini had a non-working HDMI port, a very basic and simple feature that Apple could only fix after 3 months of telling me that "this problem is totally new to us. We've never heard of snow and crushed out whites" while at the same time there were thousands of complaints on exactly the same issue. World class customer care ? I doubt that.

Um so do I. Dell E6410 running XP. Slowest damn thing I've used in a while, it can't even open IE without the HD struggling, and this is no joke. Blue screen every 3-4 months probably, not awful. But who said anything about "daily"? So anything more than daily is good enough for you?

Also on this sleep thing, I try to hibernate or standby, and it mostly works. Until something hogs the memory and won't relinquish it, then I have to reboot. Also occasionally when you try to dock it, the mouse and keyboard don't respond! wtf kind of bs computer is this?

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
  • A desktop tower contains GTX Titan and granite base = some weird fancy 5h!t
  • Serviceability, upgrades and easy of access = stuff 95% people don't care about
  • Faster and better components, liquid cooling on PC computers = lingering in the past.

Yeah well, 95% of people don't give a F if iMac use friction stir welding, screen lamination and 5x thinner either. Just give the damn better and reasonable upgrades, but guess what, Apple could not offer it..

But when Apple offers something equally gimmicky and silly, you praise it like it was the bestest thing life could ever provide. Some nice arsetitude you got there :cool:

I said wanting to always change things out constantly = lingering in the past

Like I stated before, the welding method is required to make a better-looking, more energy-efficient, and ultimately more desirable PC. That's what most consumers care about. Screen lamination helps because the screen looks better. Customers also care about that. What's hard to understand?

All i'm saying is Apple = best PC at the moment for the average PC user. Didn't say anything about best thing in life.... don't misquote me. Youmad

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I said wanting to always change things out constantly = lingering in the past

Like I stated before, the welding method is required to make a better-looking, more energy-efficient, and ultimately more desirable PC. That's what most consumers care about. Screen lamination helps because the screen looks better. Customers also care about that. What's hard to understand?

All i'm saying is Apple = best PC at the moment for the average PC user. Didn't say anything about best thing in life.... don't misquote me. Youmad

Granite base also helps stabilize the tower unit and keep the thing cooled while it's also a good looking quality material. Customers also care about that.

Every innovations and features has their own purpose, but of course because it's not made of Aluminum and not designed by Apple, it's a useless crap, no?

Yeah where did you get that facts? Apple's website? Resourceful.
I also drink Diet Coke everyday because Pepsi says it's healthy.

I'm so out of here .. it's getting off topic and ridiculously stupid to discuss things with someone so heavily blinded and biased.

Keep drinking that :apple: silicon juice, it's healthy .. Apple says so.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Dell E6410 running XP.

Also on this sleep thing, I try to hibernate or standby, and it mostly works. Until something hogs the memory and won't relinquish it, then I have to reboot. Also occasionally when you try to dock it, the mouse and keyboard don't respond! wtf kind of bs computer is this?

This is a computer running the version of Windows that released around the time when Apple OSX 10.0 "Cheetah" was released. Are you still running Cheetah on your Apples, or have you upgraded to a newer version of Apple OSX?

Try a Windows version from, say 3 years ago. You'll discover that the entire sleep/hibernate subsystem has been redesigned - and works superbly. Does Apple OSX even have "hybrid sleep" today?

Please - seeing "Windows SUX" and "XP" in the same paragraph is as convincing as seeing "Digitimes reports" in a rumour story.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Try a Windows version from, say 3 years ago. You'll discover that the entire sleep/hibernate subsystem has been redesigned - and works superbly. Does Apple OSX even have "hybrid sleep" today?

Please - seeing "Windows SUX" and "XP" in the same paragraph is as convincing as seeing "Digitimes reports" in a rumour story.

I'm sorry but I think 95% of people, 95% of the time don't care :D;):rolleyes:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm sorry but I think 95% of people, 95% of the time don't care :D;):rolleyes:

Don't care about what - whether "sleep" works better on a 12-year old OS than a 3-year old OS. Or whether "sleep" works at all?

You're probably right - since Windows market share is much, much, much closer to 95% than the Apple OSX share Microsoft is doing things better.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Don't care about what - whether "sleep" works better on a 12-year old OS than a 3-year old OS. Or whether "sleep" works at all?

You're probably right - since Windows market share is much, much, much closer to 95% than the Apple OSX share Microsoft is doing things better.

Well I care. But someone else here claimed otherwise. ;)

Simple and useful things (i.e Finder cut-paste, better multiple display management), appears on OSX years after Windows just because Mac want to be .. different

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
My beef with all of this is that the HDD is the one component of the iMac that regularly fails. So it's good they are offering Flash storage, but that should be standard (at least a small Flash drive) with a secondary HDD (fusion option) UNLESS they would build the iMac to where the HDD is user serviceable without having to totally disassemble the unit. If they would provide easy access to the HDD, I would be motivated to buy.

I've replaced the HDD 4 times in our 24" Alum iMac (without using the apple service centers). Other than that, it's been a great machine.

Hear ! Hear !

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Here's where your entire post is flawed. Until competitors come out with an AIO that's even remotely close to the iMac to drive competition then you insisting that the iMac be standardized with a Fusion drive makes no sense. Most consumers are not even trippin' about a "Fusion Drive" let alone even know what it is and those are generally the consumers that make up for most of Apple's sales.

Your post is flawed... Look at the build quality of the iMac, the brushed aluminum, the ultra-thin design. No competitor has come close to that, but they did it anyway. By your logic, the iMac should be a thick, noisy, plastic computer until the day that HP makes something better.

I say the Fusion drive is now part of what makes the iMac unique, and should be a selling point on every box. They can market it similar to the MacBook Air and how they kept talking about the near-instant-on speed of it thanks to the SSD. Oh yeah, that's another thing Apple decided to make STANDARD on a laptop. If they can put SSDs in every Air and MBP Retina, then they can put Fusion drives in every iMac.

"It's that simple."

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
I was gonna buy the new imac back when they were released,but the non ssd option in the 21.5" was a deal breaker...so i waited and waited and finally got tired and bought a nice used mint 2.4GHz macbook (black) and put in my own ssd.The funny thing is my cost total was $300 ($200 for macbook---yes got sweet deal,and $100 for 128 samsung 840 ssd)

So apple,when you build a nice 21.5" Imac that doesn't need a tear down to get at the ram and harddrive,and comes with ssd options that aren't stupid $...give me a shout...till then Ill continue using this used macbook that has already undergone it's over priced rip off,and has simple easy access to ram and harddrive!

The 21" would have been my dream machine if I just could add more RAM, like the 27".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.