Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Yea, that's pretty much why no one but *nix geeks use those terms, that and it took so long to teach our parents what gigabyte meant. Teaching them about base ten vs base two just isn't worth the trouble.

Yeah there are 10 kinds of people, those who know base 2 and those who don't.

Sorry had to.

bookofzero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
Just to clarify, the article you linked to clearly states those are IEC standard names and not SI:
"It is important to recognize that the new prefixes for binary multiples are not part of the International System of Units (SI), the modern metric system."

technically Mebibyte(MiB), Mebibit (Mib) and Gibibit(Gib)
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Not that it's really important. It just bothers me when the (SI) metric system is misused.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Camera deleted? Perhaps no microphone, to keep price point? LOL! :D

There is a microphone and front facing camera for FaceTime purposes.

The camera can also take photos, although it isn't as useful as a (decent spec) rear camera.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
No ?

http://www.sw-box.com/iPhone-4-Camera-Module-Replacement.html

Pathetic isn't it.
They deliberately screw over a product for the sake of a few dollars.

An idea, hey offer this model, or a model the same but with a camera for $10 or $20 more and see which sells the best. I think I know the answer.

that's a knock off. Pretty sure I read somewhere that the iPhone 4 camera costs around ~$10.

of course adding a camera with an additional $10 price tag would make it the best seller, but the profit margin on the 16GB is too low.

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
Just to clarify, the article you linked to clearly states those are IEC standard names and not SI:
"It is important to recognize that the new prefixes for binary multiples are not part of the International System of Units (SI), the modern metric system."

Yea, I think that's an important note. The way that I stated that might be misleading. The Gibi, Mebi, ect... Prefixes are NOT SI. The Giga, Mega, ect... are SI, and are used incorrectly in the software world to describe base 2 multiples.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
better hope you have a job that pays that well before you start buying luxury items like ipods.

To some degree, otherwise there are much more important matters to worry about, I doubt I know anyone that makes that type of money.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple is dumping their stock of 4th gen iPods on their "refurb" web page. But I don't think these are really re-furbss that have ever been in a customer's hand. Reason: I just ordered a 4th gen 8GB model and it shipped from China. Normally a refurb ships out of California where it was repaired bt these are comming from China and limey have never been used. Just left over stock.

I think they are getting run of all the 4th gen iPods because IOS 7 will not run on them.

BTW, at $129 for a 4th gen 8GB is a good deal. They have both black and white available. 16 and 32 Gb models too.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
It says 4Gb, not 4GB. 4Gb = 4 gigabits. One byte is 8 bits. Nobody gets it until they are told about it, which is why it's so misleading.

Thanks to all. Yes I did not notice it was Gb rather than GB. The question is why don't they just say MB or GB like they've been using for what, at least 20 years.

Last edited:

sherwinzadeh

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
The colors are gaudy...
i'll be getting one for sure. Not even sure i need it, but just love the design.

APPLE please pay attention: we don't like tinted aluminum. Scratches off easily and looks ugly. Please bring back the natural aluminum and black iPhone option!!!

Lamb22erth

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
I personally use it because I like it better than pressing the actual buttons.
4.jpg

thercman

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2013
Spokane WA
It is interesting to see how people are going back and forth on the camera removal. Personally I believe it is a bad move on Apples part and here is why. I have no idea of the actual numbers but I would speculate that most people that own a touch do not own an iPhone (smart phone) and vise versa. I just sold my iPhone 5 because I was tired of paying the outrageous monthly bills and wanted a replacement. The ideal replacement? Of course a touch. While the camera isn't quite as good as the iPhone I did use my phone to take lots and lots of pics. So the touch would fill that void without the bill. :D However, 16GB?!? This device is supposed to be portable. Not that I would want to watch movies on it but 16GB will hold what 2 movies, then its full. Or if you want to listen to music the way it was meant to be heard CD quality then Lossless or WAV files will fill that up really fast. (btw, if you are paying $1.29 or $0.99 per song at the iTunes store your getting ripped off, by the CD and upload it into your computer) Long story short, Apple seems to be stuck in time or maybe even taking a step backwards like removing features. Maybe they should add a Mirco SD card to the touch and other devices. At least that will make them expandable. I am not looking forward to their updates in September assuming the same faster processor, better screen and same old 16, 32, 64GB memory. Pfft. (sorry for the rant, its just I am a big fan of Apple products and just purchased an Android device because Apple fails to advance)

boechat

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
i want a 64gb gig ipod touch to be my music dedicated device..

do you guys recommend me to buy the current gen

or wait for the next one?

does a new gen of iphone necessarily brings a new gen of ipod touch? maybe its a good ideia to wait the new ipod touch.

i recently moved to galaxy SIV in terms of mobile phone, but i miss music scenario from apple. I think its better to have these two devices.

thegreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
They made this iPod touch to succeed (replace) the 4th generation iPod touch. They're giving you the dual-core A5 chip, FaceTime HD camera, 4" Retina Display, ultraslim design, and iOS 7 (when it releases) for only $30 more. It's a great deal really.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It is interesting to see how people are going back and forth on the camera removal. Personally I believe it is a bad move on Apples part and here is why. I have no idea of the actual numbers but I would speculate that most people that own a touch do not own an iPhone (smart phone) and vise versa. I just sold my iPhone 5 because I was tired of paying the outrageous monthly bills and wanted a replacement. The ideal replacement? Of course a touch. While the camera isn't quite as good as the iPhone I did use my phone to take lots and lots of pics. So the touch would fill that void without the bill. :D However, 16GB?!? This device is supposed to be portable. Not that I would want to watch movies on it but 16GB will hold what 2 movies, then its full. Or if you want to listen to music the way it was meant to be heard CD quality then Lossless or WAV files will fill that up really fast. (btw, if you are paying $1.29 or $0.99 per song at the iTunes store your getting ripped off, by the CD and upload it into your computer) Long story short, Apple seems to be stuck in time or maybe even taking a step backwards like removing features. Maybe they should add a Mirco SD card to the touch and other devices. At least that will make them expandable. I am not looking forward to their updates in September assuming the same faster processor, better screen and same old 16, 32, 64GB memory. Pfft. (sorry for the rant, its just I am a big fan of Apple products and just purchased an Android device because Apple fails to advance)

How do you replace an iPhone with a touch? And 16gb can hold way more than 2 movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.