macrumors 6502

MBP at home.

iPad2 at work.

iPhone for eveywhere else.
Tobias Funke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:47 AM   #27
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I have used the iPad to go paperless in my office. The combination of long battery life/ stylus input and 3G access makes it very useful for me in different ways: it's easier (and more comfortable) to read and mark up pdfs on an iPad compared to my Air (especially on a retina screen), I never have to worry about sitting next to an electricity socket when I go to conferences or seminars, I never have to worry about not finding wifi when I'm on the move or away on workshops or a seminar, all my hand written notes and sketches are in one place, and so on. I find that the iPad has been a very valuable addition to my work flow. Of course, I could 'survive' without it, but it contributes something to my work flow which my Air or smart phone don't offer me. I can't really work on my smart phone, and I find the iPad more portable than my 13" Air. I've written more about it here:

http://macademise.wordpress.com/2012...tool-or-toy-2/
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:06 AM   #28
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

I'd say my main motivation would be iBooks /Kindle. The iPhone is a bit small for reading books and I never particularly enjoyed reading on my MBA, nor is iBooks available on OSX. To the OP's point there is quite a bit of cross over and I have asked my self I need so many devices. Since finishing school I just don't use my MBA all that much and have been considering selling it. I don't see the iPad as a laptop replacement but I'm beginning to realize at this point in my life I just don't really need a laptop.
reputationZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:07 AM   #29
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
I often see people with iPhone, laptop, and iPad but my question is why buy an iPad if you have an iPhone and laptop, especially if you have a laptop like the Air that is very portable.

I understand more so if you have an iMac at home.

What do you do with your iPad that you can't do with your laptop or iPhone?

I think it's a great device but what void does it fill if you have a laptop/iphone?
I can tell you have not sat down and used an iPad. They are great and even superior for cruising the Internet and dealing with everyday email. No, they can't replace my computers, the iPad is simply a welcome addition.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:12 AM   #30
orfeas0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I often see people with iPhone, laptop, and iPad but my question is why buy an iPad if you have an iPhone and laptop, especially if you have a laptop like the Air that is very portable.

I understand more so if you have an iMac at home.

What do you do with your iPad that you can't do with your laptop or iPhone?

I think it's a great device but what void does it fill if you have a laptop/iphone?
Reading books on the road, which you cant do on the iPhone or macbook air.
orfeas0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:30 AM   #31
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

Quote:

why can't you project your rMBP onto the smartboard?

as far as work device doesn't a touch keyboard get in the way? or I am assuming that you use your MBP then transfer it to your iPad.
I do project my rMBP to the board, then use the iPad to do all those other things like attendance or quick check of Internet or grades. If I need to leave the room, I bring the iPad with me and leave the rMBP plugged into the board.

Touchscreen keyboard hasn't bothered me. I'm used to it.
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:47 AM   #32
jimmysuggs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
True, lets run around naked and live in trees.
Um, you missed the point a little here so let me try again in a simpler way:

I wasn't suggesting we abandon all technology and go back to nature.

I was trying to explain the difference between want and need, in an attempt to answer the OP's question about why so many people choose the ipad. Some folks seem to confuse "need" with "want," so I was attempting to clarify it.

May I suggest you read posts a bite more carefully before responding? You totally missed the (fairly obvious) point that I was making. It had nothing to do with technology being bad or us needing to banish it from our lives.
jimmysuggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:08 AM   #33
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Ok lets see I have an Ipad, Iphone, and MBP. I'm a family of 4, a teenager, a 9yr old and the wife.

Heres the useages:

Iphone - the wife and I use them as texters and callers, the internet features when out and about.

ipad - watching netflix and web surfing when lounging in bed, couch, backyard, at meetings.

Laptop - for doing work etc, childrens home work (book reports etc).
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad