Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MactheNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
hello

i downloaded and installed chrome for mac, this is myt first day with mac so bear with me :)

now there is an icon on the desktop which looks like a white disc drive in the top right corner with chrome written below it/icon in it

and there is a smaller than normal window pops up that shows the icon of chrome an arrow downwards and then a folder which to me looks like the app folder?

what does this all mean?
--
ill tell you when i saw the smaller window i pulled the google chrome icon to the desktop, it then said copying to desktop blah blah, then i put it where i intended to in the quicklaunch bar or whatever that bottom bar is called

id like to know what i did and if theres anything i can do to clean up my desktop more

i tried to attach photos to the post but it only let me choose the iphoto library or apeture library, i dont know what the hell that meant, but then a spinning color wheel came up and so i quit that

nate

Nov 28, 2010
located
okay thank you,

your saying i installed the program wrong, what should i do to correct my install? i would just like to do the normal procedure for install of app, only diff is chrome i want to be in quicklaunch bar

nate

As explained in the first link I provided about installing applications in Mac OS X, you download the DMG (Disk iMaGe), mount it (via double clicking it, unless it mounts automatically after it has finished downloading), grab the application and drag it to the Applications folder (sometimes mounted disk images provide an alias (shortcut) to the Applications folder upon you can drag the application, which then gets copied to the Applications folder. After that is done, you eject the disk image via CMD+E or dragging it to the Trash (from the Desktop) and then delete the DMG file.

The quick launch bar is called "Dock".

Basic Mac OS X Graphical User Interface (GUI) Elements
clickable for bigger picture
2011_11_15_pB1_MacOSX-GUI-Elements.png

MactheNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
okay thanks my friend,

i realized immidiately after i posted i missed link

ill bb

nate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.