Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beej210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Need some advice on which MBP I should buy. I'm replacing my home laptop. It'll be the only laptop in our house. I currently have a MBA at my office and love it which is why I'm dumping my Dell and going with Mac for my home.

Not a gamer, but will do some DVD ripping, photos, music, web, and some non-intensive games (civ, etc)

Do I need one of the 15" with the new ivy bridge, or would a 13" be sufficient? Will probably upgrade the ram to 8gb regardless of which one I get. Just don't know how far up the ladder I need to go.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
The current 2011 or even 2010 13" MBP will suffice computationally, though the display resolution might be a bit low, which of course can be remedied via an external display.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
A 13" will serve you perfectly. You don't really need the power of a quad core, or even really a core i7. Unless you really want the 15" form factor, or just want to spend the extra money, I would go with the 13 it will do everything you want it to and then some.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
MBP 13 should work fine for you if you like the MBA and the size/weight will be more similar than a MBP 15.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Not a gamer, but will do some DVD ripping, photos, music, web, and some non-intensive games (civ, etc)

Do I need one of the 15" with the new ivy bridge, or would a 13" be sufficient? ...
Since we don't know what specs the Ivy Bridge models will have and what screen sizes and resolutions they will come in, it's a bit tough to answer your question.

What I do suggest you do is go in to an Apple store and try iPhoto on both a 13" and 15" screen. And anything else you care to check out how they look on both of them.

My personal preference (based on the current models) would be the 15" with antiglare hi res display. However, this is something you need to chose for yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.