Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcalhon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Hi there, I have a Iphone 4s IOS 5.1.1 with Jailbreak and was wondering to update to IOS 6.0.1. Can I just to that via Itunes (the update), or will I have problems because of the jailbreak? Can anyone help me please?
Thanks in advance.

marcalhon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
You need to restore the phone through iTunes via usb I believe.

First of all, thanks for your reply, but my question is that one, I just open itunes and click on Update, no problems with the JB?

marcalhon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
You will be on stock firmware
No jailbreak yet for 4S on iOS6

I know that about the jailbreak, but I do not need IT anyway ...

My big concern is if I hit UPDATE, I will have no problems during the update

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I know that about the jailbreak, but I do not need IT anyway ...

My big concern is if I hit UPDATE, I will have no problems during the update

DFU restore to 6.0.1 IMO. Sync and backup first though just in case.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Thanks for your reply, so how I should do that? Sorry if this is a basic question, but i'm a newbie on this issues

You don't need to do that. Turn your phone off, hold the home button, and plug it in to a computer with itunes on it (while holding the home button). Within a few seconds, you'll see a "connect to itunes" screen on your iphone, and on your computer you'll get a pop up in itunes prompting you to restore. (You can then let go of the home button) Do that, and you'll be 100% fine.

marcalhon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
You don't need to do that. Turn your phone off, hold the home button, and plug it in to a computer with itunes on it (while holding the home button). Within a few seconds, you'll see a "connect to itunes" screen on your iphone, and on your computer you'll get a pop up in itunes prompting you to restore. (You can then let go of the home button) Do that, and you'll be 100% fine.

First of all, thanks for you answer,

Are you sure about this? Thaks a lot

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

While this is an option, this will leave your file system partially intact. To wipe your phone, and any filesystem remnants, use a DFU restore:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

First of all, thanks for you answer,

Are you sure about this? Thaks a lot

See above.

DFU restore is your safest option.

+1, instructions above!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.