Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 2, 2013, 12:25 PM   #426
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
That's like saying the airbags and computer skid control should have been in cars since the beginning in 1901.
Weak analogy. Apple has had multiple monitor support for years. There's absolutely no excuse for them not having full support for multiple monitors from day one of adding full screen mode. It's not an issue of technical innovation, it's something they were certainly capable of doing at the time but just didn't get it in. And a couple years later, it still isn't in.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:23 PM   #427
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung! View Post
end your pain now! try http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder. it's free. it does all that and plenty other neat stuff.
Yes, Xtrafinder is just plain flipping AWESOME. It's gotten rid of virtually every complaint I had about the Finder (Dual-View is SOOO much nicer to use for moving files around plus tabs lets you keep multiple directories open as well) and unlike Apple, its author actually updates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
We all know it's going to be OS X 10.9 LOLCat
Here I figured it was going to be 10.9 Pretty Kitty to go with the interface makeover for iOS since it's apparently just oh so stale looking.... (And Hello Kitty was already trademarked, it seems)

Last edited by MagnusVonMagnum; May 2, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:36 PM   #428
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
A real update is when they do more than just add a couple of apps to the OS. They are adding functionality this time around. Which is what OS updates are all about.

Now we are not too far away from OS XI... can't wait to see what leap they make w/ that one.
Unless the next OS is OS X 10.10 :'(
thekeyring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #429
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Late at the party, but when will they reinstall the top rightmost button to get a minimal window view?
Cubytus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #430
04Wallerj1
macrumors newbie

Any idea if iBook support is coming to Os X?
04Wallerj1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:31 PM   #431
greentips
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Weak analogy. Apple has had multiple monitor support for years. There's absolutely no excuse for them not having full support for multiple monitors from day one of adding full screen mode. It's not an issue of technical innovation, it's something they were certainly capable of doing at the time but just didn't get it in. And a couple years later, it still isn't in.
And this is one of the prime reasons I am still using 10.6. I use applications that use multiple monitors and Spaces was one of the best ways to use it. These applications permitted me to display imaging on one screen critical to my work and ancillary data on the other, yet allowed me to easily switch desktops on both screens when necessary to do other work.

I also run very compute intensive tasks in background (monte-carlo simulations) at low priority. I realize this isn't the typical Mac use these days, but it is why physicists love macs. I really would love to bring the 10.6 to an updated version, but after having a go with 10.7 and wasting hours, I'd rather go back to FreeBSD/KDE than deal with 10.7.

Colors on things like finder folders (applications hieroglyph) help make it quicker to find things. Apple probably found it cheaper not to colorize so they didn't.

Computers are about productivity. These things make us more productive. Without them, well, there's always FreeBSD/KDE or Linux/Gnome and at far lower prices.
greentips is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:30 PM   #432
aggri1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
I really hope that multi-tasking is fixed; I hate it when Finder hangs because the foreground Window has hung. That is so 90s.

Windows 7 / 8 Explorer.exe rarely hang as much as Finder does with a mis-behaving app these days.
The Finder's stupidity is one of my most hated things about Mac OS X also. I don't understand why one window getting stuck waiting for something should mean the whole application should get stuck. Stupid.
aggri1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:18 PM   #433
Tech198
macrumors 601

Multitasking ??

Did i read that correctly

I sure hope they were thinking of a Chrome-Book
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:56 PM   #434
xcodeaddict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
hum... might just spring for the next revision of the imac to take advantage of the new features. My 2007 is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Or... the chin.
xcodeaddict is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:25 AM   #435
Faux Carnival
macrumors 6502a

Nothing major. Like always. They need good touch screen support and optimization before it's too late.
Faux Carnival is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:29 AM   #436
johnhw
macrumors 6502

Apple should go back to the old release cycle. I don't mind if 10.9 releases next year and the $129 price. If that means more updates to 10.8 which means a much more efficient and finally the return of the truly rock solid OS X. I'll be more than happy. Even so a much less buggy 10.9.
johnhw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:41 AM   #437
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

The file system has supported tags for a while, it's just that the user interface people have not exposed it to us other than spotlight comments, which is not useful. I really really hope IPTC keywords will be built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Do I read this correctly? Tagging finally becoming a first-class citizen on OS X? This would most certainly mean revamps to the file system! I don't care much for tabbed Finder, but it could be interesting if done right. Oh, and the application-backgrounding APIs sound extremely interesting!
DaffyDuck is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:50 AM   #438
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
The file system has supported tags for a while, it's just that the user interface people have not exposed it to us other than spotlight comments, which is not useful.
It is useful! I use that to group files by subject and key words, for example all pdf's with a common subject, theme, author etc. Then I just dump them in one mega folder.

With a floating info window, or Automator action you can tag several selected files at once as well.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:30 AM   #439
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
It is useful! I use that to group files by subject and key words, for example all pdf's with a common subject, theme, author etc. Then I just dump them in one mega folder.

With a floating info window, or Automator action you can tag several selected files at once as well.
It might be fine for light use but for those who have been burned by storing metadata separate from the file, it's not good enough. The only way I know I'm not going to waste my time is if the data is in the file (see IPTC). The system can feel free to copy that to another database for faster searches. Spotlight comments are stored in .DS_Store files and there are many ways those can get stripped, deleted, or lost as you move your files around over time, especially if you tend to work with multiple operating systems.
DaffyDuck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:50 AM   #440
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It might be fine for light use but for those who have been burned by storing metadata separate from the file, it's not good enough.
The problem with that is that it presupposes that all file formats have a standard way to store arbitrary meta data.

Secondly, the metadata I mentioned all refers to finding the file with Spotlight. You create a way to search for it beyond file name.

Quote:
Spotlight comments are stored in .DS_Store files and there are many ways those can get stripped, deleted, or lost as you move your files around over time, especially if you tend to work with multiple operating systems.
No they aren't, they are stored in a central database, not in ds_store files.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:17 AM   #441
Banquo
macrumors member

Tabbed Finder. Finally.

How tabbed 'browsing' has escaped Finder and Windows Explorer for so long baffles me completely. If Apple reveal this on Monday, it will be another of those little it's so obvious, why did nobody do this before?! moments for them.
Banquo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:18 AM   #442
Rossatron
macrumors 6502a

hmm, what does it mean by "multitasking"? i thought that using the browser and writing in pages was multitasking and it works quite well
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:14 PM   #443
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
Tabbed Finder. Finally.

How tabbed 'browsing' has escaped Finder and Windows Explorer for so long baffles me completely. If Apple reveal this on Monday, it will be another of those little it's so obvious, why did nobody do this before?! moments for them.
They have done it before and you can add it yourself today with XtraFinder ( http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/ )

It also has dual-pane mode for easy copying (reminds me of Diskmaster or Directory Opus) among other things. It makes Finder SO much more pleasant. Yeah, it would be nice if Apple had some of these things built into Finder (it would certainly help OSX's reputation, IMO), but they don't seem much interested in actually improving OSX functionality. They seem more interested in making it LOOK like iOS even though the two really aren't all that compatible in terms of interfaces (e.g. Windows8 isn't too popular with much of the Windows7 crowd).
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:45 AM   #444
rexy101
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohspc View Post
Better multi monitor support for OSX is definately something I'm looking forward to. Currently it's a joke compared to Windows 8 running in bootcamp on the same macbook.
yeh multi monitor support has been very poor. There are a few apps out there though that support this void. such as Multi Display Utility or Multimon. Although MDU seams more comprehensive and cheaper. Thats what I use.
rexy101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion