Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:32 PM   #51
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Clearly you didn't
I did read that post but I also read your first one. It's not because you fixed what you said that it doesn't make a difference to state something completely false earlier. Stop trying.
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 07:20 PM   #52
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
I did read that post but I also read your first one. It's not because you fixed what you said that it doesn't make a difference to state something completely false earlier. Stop trying.
If i fixed what i said there'd be an edit annotation on the post. You clearly have subpar reading comprehension and i'm bored now so...as you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Can you two please go with the Android/Non-Android war to the appropriate subforum!?

Thanks!

Won't be necessary.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:14 PM   #53
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
So what exactly would the qualification be to finally move to OS11 other than marketing?
I keep reading people saying there is going to be a OS 11. Why not OS X.10 there is no support that they will move up to OS 11, or support that they will stay with Mac OS X. :/

Hugh
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:58 AM   #54
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
The point was that not everybody needs the latest software, to have a satisfactory computing experience. If you don't need cloud computing, even though it's three generations old, SL is a rock-stable and great OS, that still receives security updates.

Your analogy makes it sound like everyone not about to go from ML to Mavericks, is a luddite.
Well my point is that there ARE people who indeed still use horse-back for transportation (and probable aslo happy), they are however not a real representation of what an average person would want. Neither do they know what modern transportation is like.

I think people still on Tiger are just missing out a great computer experience by staying on old OS. If it works for you........
Old Sep 6, 2013, 04:34 AM   #55
katewes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
That doesn't mean Apple will include supported drivers for those computers
The main, single-most, massive problem with these upgrades is not in the OSX, but in the apps from other developers. It's relatively easy for me to upgrade the OSX, but a headache to ensure all the apps that are critical for my business play nicely with the new version of OSX.

My preference is to wait a year. By then, Mavericks will be absolutely rock solid, and all the app developers will have ironed out any bugs in their apps that conflict with Mavericks. So in a year's time, I move into a rock solid platform with all the apps working nice and smooth. While most of you jump to the next OSX and beta test it for me.
katewes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #56
Yaboze
macrumors 6502a

I'm looking forward to Mavericks, but I don't really like a new OSX every year. It takes a year to get patched up and by then, we're moving onto a new OS and starting from zero again. I would prefer a big update then a small service pack type update the following year or something. I like what MS is doing with Windows 8. They are updating it for free to 8.1 and it will have a lot of new UI features and fixes.

Yes, I know you don't HAVE to upgrade, but with all the updates and things only supporting the newest OS, you feel like you have to. For example, iCloud and system updates through the App store are only on recent versions of OSX.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:21 AM   #57
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
Well my point is that there ARE people who indeed still use horse-back for transportation (and probable aslo happy), they are however not a real representation of what an average person would want. Neither do they know what modern transportation is like.

I think people still on Tiger are just missing out a great computer experience by staying on old OS. If it works for you........
I've personally never had Tiger --went from Panther straight to Leopard-- , so I can't comment on that, but currently I'm running ML on my MBA and SL on my desktop. Many of ML's features I don't need on a daily basis, and for what it's worth, SL seems to be a whole lot more stable.

I'm sure that sooner or later, I'll upgrade to Mavericks, but there is no overriding urgency to do so immediately upon it's release. The one notable feature added since ML that is very useful indeed, multiple time machine backups, may make me take the plunge. Cheers!

Last edited by macs4nw; Sep 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:54 AM   #58
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I like what MS is doing with Windows 8. They are updating it for free to 8.1 and it will have a lot of new UI features and fixes.
I agree with that although the only reason MS is doing it is because they had such a negative reaction to trying to cram tablet interface where it didn't belong on a computer.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 03:28 PM   #59
starikarp
macrumors member

Quote:
So what exactly would the qualification be to finally move to OS11 other than marketing?
I have the same question
starikarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:24 PM   #60
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by starikarp View Post
I have the same question
Me too!
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 04:56 PM   #61
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
For now, as I'm sure you know, they have decided to go with California places and landmarks, of which OS X 10.9 Mavericks is the first one. It could be followed by names such as Tahoe, Golden Gate, Big Sur, Redwood, Yosemite or even Alcatraz.

But to specifically address your question, OS X was a radical departure from what came before it, ie OS 9, OS 8, System 7, etc., so it would be reasonable to expect another ground-breaking new approach to GUIs, or OSes, for Apple to change to a new main number, as in OS Xl, however they may decide to abandon that numbering scheme for a different one, who knows. And even though it's not something I would consider desirable, there's always that possibility of eventual convergence with iOS.

For now, only Apple knows.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 06:39 PM   #62
Zmijutin
macrumors member

I don't know about you guys, but Im getting some epic battery life with this last build. I have SSD and HDD, early 2011 13 MBP with i7 (battery health 87%). I'm getting solid 5:30-5:45h on 50% backlight and couple of apps. iTunes, safari, tweet boot, Skype etc.
Zmijutin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:13 AM   #63
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

hope they release this update this week!
mattburley7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:30 AM   #64
jimoase
macrumors member

Is stuttering still a problem with 10.8.5

There is serious problem with 10.8 that causes many operating system functions to halt for up to a few seconds.

Apple has recently taken an active interest in this problem.

Here is hoping interest turns into results.
jimoase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #65
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayAbels View Post
This.
Not this. That is only relevant if you cannot upgrade to Mavericks, in which case it is not a choice.

The question he/she is probably asking - will people who have a choice not upgrade to Mavericks?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:45 AM   #66
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Not this. That is only relevant if you cannot upgrade to Mavericks, in which case it is not a choice.

The question he/she is probably asking - will people who have a choice not upgrade to Mavericks?
More to the point, any mac that can run ML can run Mavericks. So any mac that can't run Mavericks can't run 10.8 or any of the updates to it either.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:39 PM   #67
jonasdamn
Banned

updated my 2013 MBA, no issues, everything is smooth so far
jonasdamn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:32 AM   #68
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

I only hope.....

for estability and ease troubleshooting. Hopefully, when Mavericks finally arrives, we will got a very polished OS. That helps Apple: Less bugs to fix, updates to release and less workload in the help front for they.....

Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:10 AM   #69
Diwad
macrumors newbie

Hi guys. Do any of you see any graphics performance improvement on rMBP?

Should I jump into Mavericks as daily driver or it is too early?

Thanks in advance.
Diwad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion