Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I owned the original iPad and the iPad 2 and then went without either for quite a while as I went down the Android path. Recently bought an iPad 4 and then exchanged it for an iPad Mini... which is where I'll be staying until the next revision of the iPad Mini.

Having gone through all these changes, I never really felt comfortable using the iPad for any length of time in landscape mode. Clearly it wasn't as easy to hold in one hand while typing on it with the other. Now I find myself roaming through my house while I'm doing whatever on the Mini while it's sideways and it's just so comfortable.

Anyone else notice themselves using it in landscape a lot more or is it just me? The only time I don't use it this way is when I'm reading books and some games.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
The big ipad I use to use it in landscape 95% of the time

With the ipad mini is the opposite , portrait for everything except videos

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I use it in landscape all the time. The only time I am in Portrait is when I am taking notes. The split keyboard in portrait is awesome

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
perfect for landscape use, yes of course

Because in Portrait mode, you can't read a single word unless your zoom in each sentences.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

Because in Portrait mode, you can't read a single word unless your zoom in each sentences.

Ehh.......no. Since you're always talking bad about the mini, I'm going to assume you don't have one, which in turn means you don't know what you're talking about.

On that note, why all the hate towards the mini? I've seen a ton of posts from you stating how crappy you think it is. If you don't like it so much, why spend the time coming into the iPad mini threads? :confused:

For the record, I use it ALL THE TIME in portrait for reading. No zooming required.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

That's simply not true (but me thinks you know this already? :rolleyes:), just yesterday I read two entire scanned PDFs from quite old books in portrait mode with absolutely no problem, and I never had to zoom in to read the page, I had each entire scanned page visible in portrait mode. BTW, I've got old eyes, and there were no headaches or eye strain - it was very enjoyable sitting on my sofa reading from this device in portrait mode (without having to print a ream of paper, which I would have had to carry around as well).

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

Some website text is easier to read in landscape mode...but that doesn't mean it's unreadable in portrait mode. I do it all the time, no zooming required. There is a difference between portrait and landscape, but for me personally it doesn't bother me. There's no need to be overly dramatic about it...

PhilMcCracken

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
Ohio
If you can't read on the mini, I think it's time to upgrade your glasses.

Maybe get some of these.
l.jpg

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
When I hold it one-handed in portrait, twisting it that last little bit to make it face me directly is a slight strain. But, with a folio case, I started holding it with the cover folded back into the triangular stand position. I hold it with the stand part in my left hand, and it's quite comfortable. I don't even have to have a thumb on the bezel, much less the screen.

But, alas, I tried to read text in portrait and my eyes exploded. If only someone had warned us....

Regards,
Tom

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
In regards to the larger iPad, I usually have it in portrait unless the app's interface is nicer in landscape. I just find that website text is too large in landscape and I have to scroll far more.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I use my mini in landscape about 75% of the time. Web browsing, news (Flipboard/Zite/Pulse), Facebook, Mail, QuickOffice...all done in landscape. I use portrait for viewing vertical photos (of course), and for reading...so Kindle, iBooks, Zinio, etc....of course in portrait mode.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
In my opinion it depends on what you are reading in portrait mode. The mini I had was not good while trying to read website text in portrait. yeah, you can zoom in, get a different browser, modify this, change that but that isnt something I want to have to do....landscape is considerably better but I like using portrait mode most of the time.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It's definitely better than the full size ipad for landscape use. The ipad becomes heavy quick when holding it in landscape. I think the ipad mini feels more natural to use in landscape because the bezels are thicker at the top and bottom.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
It's definitely better than the full size ipad for landscape use. The ipad becomes heavy quick when holding it in landscape. I think the ipad mini feels more natural to use in landscape because the bezels are thicker at the top and bottom.

I'm starting to feel that I'm the only one that doesn't think the ipad is not heavy... And I don't even lift, bro :(

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I'm starting to feel that I'm the only one that doesn't think the ipad is not heavy... And I don't even lift, bro :(

it's nonsense...I agree it is more weight than the mini but I have to laugh whenever I read some of the comments about the weight. I guess maybe I am just blessed with super strength as I use my 4 for hours at a time and still haven't torn any muscles...lol. don't get me wrong, I love the form factor of the mini but there is no way I would pick it with its current display over a 3 or 4. in my opinion the display is a big part of the tablet experience and the mini doesn't hit the mark for me. if the next mini gets retina I will be buying another one, until then I will continue to enjoy my tank. gotta quit writing as I am getting arm cramps, might need to hit the gym..:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.