Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:23 PM   #176
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
The camera "body" is only one part of the equation. Lenses are also uber important. And so is - you know - that crazy thing - skill.
Skill is the most important thing, no doubt. If you've got it, you don't have to have a DSLR to take beautiful pictures. If you know how to frame up a shot, look for the best lighting conditions, and tweak the hell out of RAW files, you could take an award winning picture with even an older iPhone. Buying an expensive camera doesn't suddenly make you a great photographer, same as having a bad camera doesn't mean you can only take crappy pictures.

But a DSLR does give you so much more flexibility to take even better shots if you know what you're doing. In certain situations, there are some pictures you flat out can't take with a camera phone that won't present any problem with a DSLR.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:38 PM   #177
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
even though this camera will be great, i was still hoping for more megapixels too
As much as I hate to agree with SockRolid, he is right about one thing. Unless you're blowing up photos to poster size, more megapixels doesn't automatically mean better pictures.

Think of it like this. You've seen a ton of nice looking digital shots by now, I'm sure. Did you know that as far as raw detail and resolution is concerned, there isn't a single consumer grade digital camera that compares to bog standard 35mm film on a purely technical scale? For a digital camera to match the resolution of oldschool analog film, you'd have to have one capable of producing (roughly) 95MP shots. And even then, you still wouldn't get the same amount of detail because they interpret each pixel on an RGB scale, rather than the nice pixel free blend of interpolated colors analog gives you.

So now that you know this, are you suddenly finding yourself thinking that digital cameras suck? Probably not. Because, like I said above, it only matters if you're blowing up your photos to massive sizes. For just about everyone, 6-12MP is about all you'd need. That'd be enough to nearly match 35mm in quality up to certain sizes.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:57 PM   #178
adjeff8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
It won't. All you have to know is that the 5S still uses an LED flash

Which means if the subject is more than 1.5 meters away, the flash is useless because it's not bright enough. And if something is moving in the picture, it's an automatic blur because the pulse is too long
Coolest profile icon/Picture known to mankind
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:25 PM   #179
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
As much as I hate to agree with SockRolid, he is right about one thing. Unless you're blowing up photos to poster size, more megapixels doesn't automatically mean better pictures.

Think of it like this. You've seen a ton of nice looking digital shots by now, I'm sure. Did you know that as far as raw detail and resolution is concerned, there isn't a single consumer grade digital camera that compares to bog standard 35mm film on a purely technical scale? For a digital camera to match the resolution of oldschool analog film, you'd have to have one capable of producing (roughly) 95MP shots. And even then, you still wouldn't get the same amount of detail because they interpret each pixel on an RGB scale, rather than the nice pixel free blend of interpolated colors analog gives you.

So now that you know this, are you suddenly finding yourself thinking that digital cameras suck? Probably not. Because, like I said above, it only matters if you're blowing up your photos to massive sizes. For just about everyone, 6-12MP is about all you'd need. That'd be enough to nearly match 35mm in quality up to certain sizes.
i understand. but if you take what apple is doing with the current camera, and also add more pixels, it'd be even better.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:39 PM   #180
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
i understand. but if you take what apple is doing with the current camera, and also add more pixels, it'd be even better.
It'd look about the same if you're viewing them on your monitor. You'd only notice more detail when zooming in on tiny objects way off in the background.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:38 AM   #181
samcraig
macrumors G5

I would rather have a 3mp camera with a large sensor and lens than a 8-12mp camera with the typical phone lens/chip.
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:39 PM   #182
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It'd look about the same if you're viewing them on your monitor. You'd only notice more detail when zooming in on tiny objects way off in the background.
wouldn't the image be sharper?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:26 PM   #183
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
wouldn't the image be sharper?
As long as the resolution of a photo at least matches the pixel count of your monitor, you wouldn't notice any huge differences.

Like I'm assuming you've got a retina iPad, right? I'm sure at some point you've gone looking for some nice 2048x1536 wallpapers. You probably came across a few that looked absolutely amazing. Sharp, crisp, great colors...

...and all of them are only 3MP.

There are situations where the more megapixels you've got, the better off you are, but for computer wallpapers, stuff you post up on your flickr account, or even a physical 16x20, 5-6MP is usually more than enough. What's more important is the skill of the person taking the shot.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 09:07 PM   #184
ImperialX
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to ImperialX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzded View Post
You're in a nightclub, your friends pose for a photo and you "reach for your canon" which you happen to have tucked away in your back pocket...

I think you're missing the point.. ..
Dude, I ALWAYS have my DSLR tucked away in my back pocket.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:21 AM   #185
nancyfromafrica
macrumors member

iPhone probably has the best camera in the market, and we will be able to test it from tomorrow onwards as the sale of the iPhone starts
Old Sep 20, 2014, 04:21 PM   #186
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velin View Post
Who cares about all of this? If I want to be shooting movies or putting together photo albums, I'll get a videocam or SLR.

This is a phone. It's a communication device. Where's HD voice? Improved speakers so I can hear speakers on the other end? What about improvements in antenna and reception? Speakerphone? WiFi hotspot ease of use?

How about wifi-calling across all wireless carriers? Where was additional presentation about ios7 improvements and how they work with the new iPhone. Any improvements in Mail, instant messaging, voicemail, anything at all that improves the iPhone as a communications device?

Presentation sucked, all I saw was junk about video games and dual flash for photos that no one cares about. Candy for people who like to waste time. This is a phone.
No, it's not just a phone, its a smartphone. And stick to talking for yourself only, since you obviously have no clue what other people care about.
Yeah, I know it's a year ago..
anomie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion