Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1
1stBowman
macrumors newbie

HDMI and iMac

On the 2012 iMacs (ordered a 27") what would I need to connect an HDMI device say AppleTV to an iMac?

The reason I am asking is that I subscribe to the Major League Baseball package. Watching on the PS3 is the best, followed by the iPad, followed by AppleTV, and last watching on the computer.

In the room where the iMac will be there is no tv and since my wife likes to use the iPad and the kids busy on the PS3, I was hoping to hookup AppleTV to the iMac in order to watch baseball (I am aware that the season doesn't star until April....can't wait).

Is it possible?

Thanks
1stBowman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:43 PM   #2
photoz
macrumors member

Not possible, the iMac cannot be used as an input for other sources.
photoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
jsolares
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stBowman View Post
On the 2012 iMacs (ordered a 27") what would I need to connect an HDMI device say AppleTV to an iMac?

The reason I am asking is that I subscribe to the Major League Baseball package. Watching on the PS3 is the best, followed by the iPad, followed by AppleTV, and last watching on the computer.

In the room where the iMac will be there is no tv and since my wife likes to use the iPad and the kids busy on the PS3, I was hoping to hookup AppleTV to the iMac in order to watch baseball (I am aware that the season doesn't star until April....can't wait).

Is it possible?

Thanks
It's not possible, you can only connect thunderbolt devices to use the 2011,2012 iMacs in target display mode.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4
ihatephish
macrumors member

what? are you people saying i couldn't stream from an imac to my Apple TV?
ihatephish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Is it possible?

Thanks
You could always buy a USB 3 HDMI capture card and use that to stream to the iMac. Since your not planing on doing anything other then watching tv you wouldn't haft to worry about any input lag that may occur.
Zackmd1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:01 PM   #6
jediDev
macrumors member

Quote:

Is it possible?

Thanks
You can watch baseball in HD on your Mac through a web browser. Just make sure you install the MLB HiDef app to get the best quality. It's at least as good as ATV imo. Also, you can watch up to 4 games at once.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Arman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatephish View Post
No. Using airplay u can stream to Apple TV. OP is asking the other way around
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:02 PM   #8
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatephish View Post
Thats not what the op asked.
The question was can you go from apple tv --> iMac. The answer is no.
You are talking about airplay mirroring which is imac --> apple tv which is perfectly possible.
And I got ninjaed.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:58 AM   #9
1stBowman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediDev View Post
You can watch baseball in HD on your Mac through a web browser. Just make sure you install the MLB HiDef app to get the best quality. It's at least as good as ATV imo. Also, you can watch up to 4 games at once.
4 games at once...nice. I'll check it out...thanks.
1stBowman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac