Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shibby5114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
so i want to manage my music, but im never at my computer where all the original songs are stored on itunes.

I want to delete songs/artist on my iphone when im using it. I know this can be done by swiping.
But the problem is that my iphone is synced with itunes, and at the end of the day when i come home, the songs are re-downloaded back into my iphone.
Nor do i want to go into itunes and manually delete the songs i deleted on my iphone.

pls help. :confused:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Don't think u can. What I do is to give stuff I want to del 5 stars then at some point in front of my Mac I del all in one swoop.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
so i want to manage my music, but im never at my computer where all the original songs are stored on itunes.

I want to delete songs/artist on my iphone when im using it. I know this can be done by swiping.
But the problem is that my iphone is synced with itunes, and at the end of the day when i come home, the songs are re-downloaded back into my iphone.
Nor do i want to go into itunes and manually delete the songs i deleted on my iphone.

pls help. :confused:

Don't think u can. What I do is to give stuff I want to del 5 stars then at some point in front of my Mac I del all in one swoop.

Please don't spread misinformation. Set to manually syc and you'll be fine, not sure why people ever use auto-sync.

shibby5114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Please don't spread misinformation. Set to manually syc and you'll be fine, not sure why people ever use auto-sync.

what would manually sync do for me?
would it give me the option to delete music from my itunes that isn't on my iphone?

i think you misunderstood my question.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
what would manually sync do for me?
would it give me the option to delete music from my itunes that isn't on my iphone?

i think you misunderstood my question.

Let's back up, you have music on your phone that you want to delete off BOTH the phone and iTunes? Or do you have music on iTunes that has been transferred to your phone and you ONLY want to delete off your phone? The rason the music goes back on your phone with auto syc is that it...auto syncs all the media it can from iTunes. If you use manually manage, you choose what you put on, if it's deleted off the phone it will remain in iTunes but won't be synced to your phone unless you do so yourself.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I want to delete songs/artist on my iphone when (while) im using it.

This is the part the other fellah didn't read. There is NO DELETE button on the iPhone whether you choose auto or manual sync.

----------

not sure why people ever use auto-sync.

You sound like a closet android user, because that's what they do, manual sync. Apple's auto sync is so much superior, but to each his own.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
This is the part the other fellah didn't read. There is NO DELETE button on the iPhone whether you choose auto or manual sync.

Nope, you're rigth, I have no idea what the OP is asking.
----------

[/COLOR]
You sound like a closet android user, because that's what they do, manual sync. Apple's auto sync is so much superior, but to each his own.

? Not sure what this means, if you mean that auto-sync will easily put all your media on the phone, then yes. If you you mean it's easy to use auto sync on the iPhone when your library is larger than the phone's capacity then you're way off. I've never used auto-sync on the iPhone because of this. Or, if I'm out and delete a song off my phone, I don't want it popping back up on there when I resync the phone.

Last edited:

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009

----------

There IS a delete button on the phone. Just swipe the song/artist and delete. No, it will not auto delete from iTunes for you.

Manual sync is tons better. No longer want an artist on the phone but want to keep in iTunes? No problem, delete from iPhone and iTunes won't automatically resync it.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
You guys are missing the point of the OP.

He is listing to music on his phone, finds a song he doesn't like and doesn't want....AT ALL, ANYWHERE.

He wants to delete it on the phone and have it ALSO deleted from his computer in iTunes on the next sync.

That isn't an option. Wish it was. I don't listen to music on my PC, only from the phone on the go. I often find duplicates, poor quality recordings or songs I got for some other reason but no longer need or want.

The marking them with 5 stars is a good idea. Going to try that one out.

shibby5114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Nope, you're rigth, I have no idea what the OP is asking

Basically I have a bunch of music on my iTunes that I don't listen to/ don't like anymore. I want to clean up my library, but I don't like sitting at my computer and going through thousands of songs.
I want to do this on the go when I'm using my iPhone.
I want to delete then from my iTunes and iPhone while using my iPhone.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
When it's all said and done...

iPhone came from iPod and Apple pretty much use the same management methods.

You ignore me, but TAG it with 5 stars, and at your leisure sitting at PC once, and DEL all as you tagged them. I've been on this boat for a long time.

shibby5114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
You ignore me, but TAG it with 5 stars, and at your leisure sitting at PC once, and DEL all as you tagged them. I've been on this boat for a long time.

Not ignoring, just hoping for a magic button.
Will probably use this method if no one can come up with a miracle.

cheers!

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well, use auto-sync but only sync selected playlists. For example you could create a smartplaylist of songs that are rated one star-don't select it to be synced to your phone then rate the song one star.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Well, use auto-sync but only sync selected playlists. For example you could create a smartplaylist of songs that are rated one star-don't select it to be synced to your phone then rate the song one star.

Again, you aren't getting what the OP wants. He doesn't want to simply not have the songs on the phone. He also wants them to not exist on the computer. Gone, deleted, not taking up hard drive space.

Why is this so hard to understand?

OP....I feel ya. The 5 star thing seems to be the best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.