Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
i was using my Apple TV uisng 3g internet from my iPhone and kept track of my internet usage after using it for around 15-20mins, it only sent and recieved around 1-2mb, i was just wondering if the usage is really that low? Its Amazing!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Um if you weren't streaming content from the Internet that is typical - if you stream a 10GB movie it'll use 10GBs ...

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
i was just checking how fast the games work, its lags alot on wifi but no lag on 3g, games tried (order and chaos (little lag), Geo 2 (no lag), Modern combat 3)

i also did connect the 3g to my computer and streamed a 4min video, and it only used around 1-2mb.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I wasn't aware there were games on the Apple TV.

or are you saying you created a network on your phone and joined the Apple TV to it and Airplayed games from the phone to the aTV?

Also the quality of a video being streamed will determine the amount of data used. Like someone mentioned, a 10GB video will use 10GB of data once it is done streaming.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

or are you saying you created a network on your phone and joined the Apple TV to it and Airplayed games from the phone to the aTV?

Also the quality of a video being streamed will determine the amount of data used. Like someone mentioned, a 10GB video will use 10GB of data once it is done streaming.

Games can be played via AirPlay. Some games like Real Racing 2 also fully support it so the iPad/iPhone screen displays something different than your TV.

I just downloaded Draw-It which mirrors the game to your Apple TV and makes any iPad or iPhone a controller with the free app called Push-It. It also supports up to 15 players at once.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
ok so in the end, i can play games without looking at the usage but i got to keep track of the usage when i see videos. right? games wont take much usage?

----------

gameloft games are supported by appletv, ur iphone/ipad will be the controller, except for order and chaos, tried asphalt 7 and modern combat 3 , ur iphone is the controller its amazing!

Last edited:

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
...but i got to keep track of the usage when i see videos. right?
It depends where the videos are coming from. If you are streaming them from the internet, then it will use up a portion of your data allowance. If you Airplay a video that you already have on your phone or homeshare a video from iTunes it won't use up your data allowance.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
It depends where the videos are coming from. If you are streaming them from the internet, then it will use up a portion of your data allowance. If you Airplay a video that you already have on your phone or homeshare a video from iTunes it won't use up your data allowance.

i always use airplay to stream my video, can u tell me the approx. usage of streaming a video (1.5gb) thru airplay?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Well using AirPlay is kind of like utilizing the Home Share on Apple TV - its all done through a Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi connection - all local - no Internet required - the 1-2MB would be data like email or other background downloads coming into your iPhone. It may also be the app downloading a little data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.