Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Which is the better adapter?

I've heard people say USA Spec has much better sound quality but that iSimple has much better control functionality/text display.

Are either of those things true? If so, what specifically makes the iSimple's controls so much more better? Have they fixed the sound quality issue? Thanks!

Last edited:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I use an iSimple adapter in my van, it takes the place of the cd changer and plugs into the factory HU. I luv the setup, I use a pro-clip mount to hold the iPhone.

The only part that I do not like is the adapter I have to use to go from the lighting to the 30 pin on the iSimple lead wire. The only adapter I could find was the white one from Apple, so it looks a little out of place ( black phone, black mount and black iSimple lead.

Sound quality is very good, charges the iPhone and I can use my steering wheel controls.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I use an iSimple adapter in my van, it takes the place of the cd changer and plugs into the factory HU. I luv the setup, I use a pro-clip mount to hold the iPhone.

The only part that I do not like is the adapter I have to use to go from the lighting to the 30 pin on the iSimple lead wire. The only adapter I could find was the white one from Apple, so it looks a little out of place ( black phone, black mount and black iSimple lead.

Sound quality is very good, charges the iPhone and I can use my steering wheel controls.
What specifically can you control from the factory stereo?

danny0220

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
interesting thread. i used to connect my ipod through an aftermarket kit i bought at bestbuy which connected into my AUX in my original head unit on my 2005 honda accord. upon purchasing the i5, i was sad about the switch to the new lightening pin (my aux adapter had a connection for 30pin). i started to use a monster cable for the music, but got tired of the wires. my solution was to install a bluetooth enabled head unit which also allows me to use bluetooth phonecalls directly through my car speakers. and only for $200!!! that's with installation. don't know where you live and how much your guys would charge, but i'm in orange county and it turned out awesome.

this is the head unit i got installed if anyone's interested: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X6500BT

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
5th Gen Nano, which I put in one of the open spaces in front of the shifter (no holder, but my iPod's in a clear case). I use this (uses my car's own stereo system):

Attachments

• 0002661602640_500X500.jpg
    0002661602640_500X500.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 87

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I use a cassette and connect it to my iPhone (similar to the one pictured above). A friend of mine uses like an FM tuner for his iPod

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Right now simple aux but I would like BT. Can't find one with steering controls.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What kind of iPod hookup do you use in your car?
Depends on the vehicle. One has an Alpine head unit with a built-in iPod interface. One has the manufacturer's iPod interface (not sold with this model of vehicle but designed for the head unit which is used in multiple models). The third uses a USA Spec iPod interface. I don't really see any drastic differences in sound quality as they're all wired. The Alpine interface is a lot less clunky than the aftermarket solutions but the USA Spec in the Lexus works fairly well. The existing stereo equipment will affect the experience. Our other cars don't have the touch screen that the Lexus has so a USA Spec interface in another vehicle could be completely different as far as usability is concerned.

Which is the better adapter?
Define "better". What criteria are you using for comparison? What are your priorities? What features are must haves?

Are either of those things true? If so, what specifically makes the iSimple's controls so much more better?
Better is always highly subjective and you have to always consider the source. You need to ask those claiming that it's better. They "Why?" is always more important to ask when shopping versus "Which is better?".

...and don't overlook the countless prior threads on the topic or the Accessories subforum.

Last edited:

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I bought a Dension Bluetooth/USB/iPod module for my 2004 Audi a4 and I was surprised how clear the Bluetooth was. I came from using a tape to aux adapter and I am so satisfied. I bought the Dension which uses the factory radio to control things and it is a bit limited but I can still skip songs and answer calls. It also came with a separate mic but people have said they could tell that I was in my car because road noise was loud. It doesn't, however, display text through the radio but I can deal with that. I installed it myself and it was $140 price range. Check out enfig car audio's website to see more or google Dension.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I have an Alpine head unit with USB interface and I keep a 30GB iPod Classic in the glove box. Works great.

Same...although my head unit is Eclipse and it's got the 30 pin hard wired to an iPod....either third or forth gen. 20gb black n white iPod with about 4200 songs I ripped on to in back in 2004! Lol...it never leaves the truck, sounds great and works perfectly! It's been through 7 Alaskan winters too! Unreal that thing is still working...I really am amazed.

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.