Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossMacca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I bought Office for Mac 2011 a couple of years ago for my old MacBook. About a year and a half ago I got a MacBook Air and so to get Office on it, I downloaded the trial, and activated it with the product key from my disk. All was well.

Recently, my Office installation has been playing up (Math-type is impossible to remove) so I uninstalled it. Now, when I go to the MS website (which is, by the way, awful, so many broken links) I am told that if you have no optical drive, like me, to either download and activate the trial (as I did in the past) or enter your product key and they will provide you with the relevant download link. So I enter my key and get told I am not eligible for download. Fine - not sure why, but ok. So, as they said, I'll download the trial.

Problem is, I can't for the life of me find the trial download? Can someone help me out here? I have a legit key, and it's proving so difficult to get the software on my Mac. Pirating would have been easier...

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Unfortunately it looks like Microsoft have removed the trial from their website. I had a link to the trial in one of my articles, but following the link now just takes you to the download store. I would try to contact Microsoft directly and explain the situation.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Thanks for these links, I have a similar problem. My work purchased office a few years ago but have long since lost the Disc but we have the license key. We had made an ISO image of the disc but it is corrupted. :( Last week we purchased me a new MBP and when I was setting it up is when I found out the ISO was corrupted. We had been looking for the disc but this should help. :D

Thanks!

JDJ333

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2021
Thank you MaxDrago. This link still worked today and I was able to get Office 2011 validated (a bit of a process though) with my product key.

Reactions: larzmac and cbn0

ryanluoxu

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
The link works. But after installation, the apps still not working. No chance to key in the product key which purchased before.
1635350851889.png

Reactions: cbn0

cbn0

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
The link works. But after installation, the apps still not working. No chance to key in the product key which purchased before.
View attachment 1880844
I was about to input the exact same problem. Downloaded today and ran the update to version 14.7.7 (what seems to be the last one), but it tells me the same thing.

JDJ333, could you help us with how did you get around it? Thanks

Reactions: larzmac

cbn0

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Office for Mac 2011 is 32-bit software. 32-bit software does not run on macOS Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey.

Any app showing the prohibitory icon (circle with diagonal line) is similarly incompatible.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.