Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
After struggling to put on a replacement screen protector for my mini, I just said enough is enough and have gone naked (except for the Smart Cover). Forgot how much I love the feel of the glass as opposed to a cheap piece of plastic film. Just hope I don't discover any tiny scratches after a while.

Now my iPhone 5 is a different story. Not sure I can go without a screen protector on that.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
It takes a lot to scratch the iPad and iPhone, I don't use screen protectors and my screens are fine. Some people are far to cautious, wouldn't surprise me to me to know that some people stick their phone in a glass box and never touch it again.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm on the same program as you, Smart Cover and no screen protector on my iPad mini and screen protector on my iPhone 5. I feel like the Smart Cover does a good enough job protecting the iPad Mini screen naked, which is why I took my screen protector I bought for my iPad back. For my iPhone 5 I could never go without having a screen protector, theres too much exposure and vulnerability with my iPhone 5.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I hate screen protectors. I'd honestly rather my screen crack/scratch and have to get it fixed than have to deal with the sticky plastic film.

McCaffers

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
Yeah the screen's are really quite tough, even the mini's. I haven't got a protector on mine and it still looks brand new.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Never put a screen protector on my 4,4S or 5, and on iPad mini--all are scratchless,just need a little care and you will be fine !

How do you usually carry your iPhones? I stick mine in with keys, wallet, etc all the time. I don't see how it couldn't get scratched, honestly.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple has gone to great lengths to apply an Oleophobic coating to iOS displays.

That's why one enjoys great clarity & an exemplary tactile feel when using your device. Easy to clean, and very durable, with just a bit of caution there's no need to cover up & defeat this excellent coating.

I carry my iPads in sleeves, my iPhone in my left front pocket. Dedicated just for my phone, there's no way to scratch it. Been carrying it like this for years.

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
I am not necessarily opposed to screen protectors, but a far greater risk is breaking the screen. I have broken 2 iphone 5 screens in the past month and a half and both times I had a screen protector on. I know don't think I ever really thought about putting a screen protector on and just did it because I felt like that is what everyone does.

I do not use a screen protector and I don't think I ever will again. One day, I hope to be able to use the iphone without a case as well, but I have not been able to bring myself to it. (both times the phone broke, it was in a minimal case)

edit: I also don't use them on my iPads--just folio cases sometimes

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i dont think screen protector is needed if you have a good case on.

But i dont think smart cover is a good enough case if you are going naked.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
How do you usually carry your iPhones? I stick mine in with keys, wallet, etc all the time. I don't see how it couldn't get scratched, honestly.

Well they will then ! I always have a dedicated pocket in my jeans or pants or wherever,as I said you need to be a little careful if you want them scratchless !

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
My iPad (3rd gen) has the Smart Case on it, and even if it didn't I wouldn't put a screen protector on. Both my iPhone 4 and iPad never have screen protectors on them. They have lay-on-the-table design cases, so if I put them flat on a table the screen doesn't touch.

I hate screen protectors, they're nasty

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
I use a bestskinsever.com full-body skin on my iPhone 5. Besides the scratch protection (I am comfortable laying it down anywhere, put it in a pocket with keys and change), I like that the skin greatly reduces the fingerprints on the screen, and it also gives extra grip when you are caseless.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I used to use a screen protector on my galaxy nexus but decided to go protectorless when I had to replace It. I have an iPhone 5 amd had a few iPads and never had any damage to the screen (knock on wood). If you're careful there should be no damage at all, the screens are pretty hard to scratch in general

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I always very CAREFUL with my iphone 4s and ipad 2 I treat them like my real human babies I put cheap screen protector on my iphone 4s only to find very very tiny scratch on screen protector I don't know how it HAPPENED!! I am glad it didn't scratch glass. :apple:

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I always very CAREFUL with my iphone 4s and ipad 2 I treat them like my real human babies I put cheap screen protector on my iphone 4s only to find very very tiny scratch on screen protector I don't know how it HAPPENED!! I am glad it didn't scratch glass. :apple:

Same experience here.

I am super careful with my ipad and all my iPhones. Do not take the ipad outside the house. Keep a front and back cover on it. And when I went to put the bodyguardz pure glass screen protector on I found a small hairline mark on the screen. I am so carful I have no idea where it came from.

I am using the pure glass screen protector because I also like the feel of glass over the plastic films.

I think those who say the iOS devices are very hard to scratch aren't being honest or realistic. They do scratch. Maybe it's not easy to make deep scratches with careful use. But if you are picky, you will find them. I would rather the Bodyguardz Pure be the sacrificial lamb and not my much more expensive screen.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

Just because your protector was scratched, doesn't mean the glass would have. Those things scratch WAY easier than the glass on an iOS device. :apple:

Same experience here.

I am super careful with my ipad and all my iPhones. Do not take the ipad outside the house. Keep a front and back cover on it. And when I went to put the bodyguardz pure glass screen protector on I found a small hairline mark on the screen. I am so carful I have no idea where it came from.

I am using the pure glass screen protector because I also like the feel of glass over the plastic films.

I think those who say the iOS devices are very hard to scratch aren't being honest or realistic. They do scratch. Maybe it's not easy to make deep scratches with careful use. But if you are picky, you will find them. I would rather the Bodyguardz Pure be the sacrificial lamb and not my much more expensive screen.

Don't take it out of the house? Wow, why not just enjoy the device? BTW, I've had over 7 iOS devices and none of their screens got scratched. And yes, I'm being honest AND realistic. On top of that, they LEFT MY HOUSE!!!1

The Bodyguardz for the iPad mini is actually more expensive than what I paid for 1 year of full insurance for my iPad mini that also covers liquid, theft, and accidental. With that, I don't have to worry about a case or a screen protector. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with protecting the device. Just don't feel like you can't enjoy it. Since yours is covered, why not take it out and enjoy it?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
I have a ColcaSac for my iPad when I take it out of the house. Otherwise, no protection on it.

As for my iPhone 5, I have a full body Wrapsol Ultra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.