Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
I'm planning getting a new mini in the next week or two (i7 2.6, split on the fusion drive still). I'm upgrading from 2006 20" iMac. I'm also looking at running 2 monitors.

My question is: Can the Thunderbolt/Mini Display port on the mini support daisy chaining of 2 display ports monitors (say two Dell u2413)? From what I've read the mini can power 2 Apple 27" displays, but those are way out of the ballpark for my budget.

If I can not daisy chain the display port I can save some extra cash on the monitors. By getting ones that don't have dual DP ports on them...

Nov 28, 2010
located
What about using the HDMI port with the HDMI to DVI adapter, that comes with the Mac mini and using the TB/MDP port with a MDP to DP adapter/cable?

PS: By going with the 2.3 GHz model, you might be able to convince yourself to get the Fusion Drive, since the extra 300 MHz will not give you a that much faster Mac mini.

Reactions: Celerondon

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm planning getting a new mini in the next week or two (i7 2.6, split on the fusion drive still). I'm upgrading from 2006 20" iMac. I'm also looking at running 2 monitors.

My question is: Can the Thunderbolt/Mini Display port on the mini support daisy chaining of 2 display ports monitors (say two Dell u2413)? From what I've read the mini can power 2 Apple 27" displays, but those are way out of the ballpark for my budget.

If I can not daisy chain the display port I can save some extra cash on the monitors. By getting ones that don't have dual DP ports on them...

No. Daisy chaining of DP requires DP 1.24. The thunderbolt port utilizes DP 1.1. The reason you can daisy chain 2 TBD is because Thunderbolt carries 2 DP 1.1 signals and not 1 1.24.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
No. Daisy chaining of DP requires DP 1.24. The thunderbolt port utilizes DP 1.1. The reason you can daisy chain 2 TBD is because Thunderbolt carries 2 DP 1.1 signals and not 1 1.24.

Thanks that's what I was looking for. Looks like I can save some on the monitors. This means I can splurge and finally be able to try out ssd (via the fusion drive)

sportster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Well, I ended up getting a Thunderbolt display, along with the Mac Mini (2.6 i7, no fusion), also ordered 16gb of ram for it (Crucial via Amazon). The wife said to just get the Apple display, so I did... I'll just keep using an older dell 20" widescreen I have for a second monitor, I'll use the included hdmi to dvi to drive it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.