Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:57 AM   #1
propaintballa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Excel Opening As Read Only

Hi guys, for some reason when I can make a spreadsheet, save it (XLSX) without the read only option ticked but when I re open it it opens as Read Only and wants me to save the changes as a new file :/

If I go to the spreadsheet properties whilst it's open, the Read Only box is ticked and greyed out so I can't change it!? Any one got any ideas on this?

OS: Lion 10.7.2
Office 2011
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro i7 15"
propaintballa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Properties?

In the Get Info window for such a file, click the padlock to unlock it, enter your password, change the permissions, click the padlock to lock it.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:03 AM   #3
propaintballa
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Properties?

In the Get Info window for such a file, click the padlock to unlock it, enter your password, change the permissions, click the padlock to lock it.
Yes? Properties?

And I have done, still opens as Read Only :/ Confuseddddd

Ok EDIT: So I thought i'd try save it to a different place, did it straight to the desktop and it's fine :/
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro i7 15"

Last edited by propaintballa; Nov 27, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
propaintballa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaintballa View Post
Yes? Properties?
Mac files don't have "properties". Windows files do.

Mac files have "Info", thus you click on Get Info.

Anyway, glad it cleared up on the Desktop. Now, what's wrong with the folder the file was in? Check out its Info window for clues.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:27 AM   #5
propaintballa
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Mac files don't have "properties". Windows files do.

Mac files have "Info", thus you click on Get Info.

Anyway, glad it cleared up on the Desktop. Now, what's wrong with the folder the file was in? Check out its Info window for clues.
Well that's funny…



And i'm not sure, I dragged it back to the same folder and it was fine, very odd
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro i7 15"

Last edited by propaintballa; Nov 28, 2011 at 05:08 AM.
propaintballa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Hmm. That's interesting. I was thinking (and writing) in terms of the file (or its icon) in a Finder window, not a menu option with the file open. So I had to open one and try it. Properties seems pretty useless to me. For the file that I opened, both Read Only and Hidden are not selectable. When I do as I suggested to you, for the same file from Finder, in the Get Info window I can change the Read Only to Read and Write. That's the Mac way, not the Microsoft way. So, did you try that route?
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Mobster1983
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Are you sure you are opening your Excel files in Excel and not Numbers? If you have Numbers as your default program, it will ask you to save as becauses you can only export to .xls format.
Mobster1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:44 AM   #8
propaintballa
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Hmm. That's interesting. I was thinking (and writing) in terms of the file (or its icon) in a Finder window, not a menu option with the file open. So I had to open one and try it. Properties seems pretty useless to me. For the file that I opened, both Read Only and Hidden are not selectable. When I do as I suggested to you, for the same file from Finder, in the Get Info window I can change the Read Only to Read and Write. That's the Mac way, not the Microsoft way. So, did you try that route?
Lol stop talking to me like i've just come over from Windows?! I tried changing the permissions on the Info when you first said about it and it didn't make a difference :/

I guess we'll just have to wait until it does it again for amazingly weird reason, silly thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Are you sure you are opening your Excel files in Excel and not Numbers? If you have Numbers as your default program, it will ask you to save as becauses you can only export to .xls format.
Yep, I don't even have numbers installed :P
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro i7 15"
propaintballa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaintballa View Post
Lol stop talking to me like i've just come over from Windows?! I tried changing the permissions on the Info when you first said about it and it didn't make a difference :/
Ok, did you try replacing your Excel plist file?
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:58 PM   #10
propaintballa
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Ok, did you try replacing your Excel plist file?
Nope, as the problem has ceased, for now at least
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro i7 15"
propaintballa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 05:05 PM   #11
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon
You can get help from a Mac MVP here:

Answers -Office for Mac

Excel: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macexcel
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
ttrent
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Excel file opening in Read Only Mode

I had this problem today, and finally figured out the solution. I had put a slash "/" in the filename, which is OK on the Mac, but Excel does NOT like it. When I removed the slash from the filename (using the finder), the Excel file then opened normally. I often use slashes when adding the date as part of the filename. When working on an Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file, I have to remember to use dashes, not slashes. In this case, my filename included the phrase "64/128 bit register". I changed it to "64 or 128 bit register".

Hope this helps someone. I wasted a lot of time on it.

MacBook Pro (Early 2011) running OS 10.8 Mountain Lion
Office for Mac 2011 vers 14.2.3 (120616)
ttrent is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Kenneth Freq
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Take out slash in file name worked for me

Worked for me, thanks!

had put a slash "/" in the filename, which is OK on the Mac, but Excel does NOT like it. When I removed the slash from the filename (using the finder), the Excel file then opened normally. I often use slashes when adding the date as part of the filename. When working on an Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file, I have to remember to use dashes, not slashes. In this case, my filename included the phrase "64/128 bit register". I changed it to "64 or 128 bit register".
Kenneth Freq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:14 PM   #14
vitorneto
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
who would thought slash against dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by propaintballa View Post
Hi guys, for some reason when I can make a spreadsheet, save it (XLSX) without the read only option ticked but when I re open it it opens as Read Only and wants me to save the changes as a new file :/

If I go to the spreadsheet properties whilst it's open, the Read Only box is ticked and greyed out so I can't change it!? Any one got any ideas on this?

OS: Lion 10.7.2
Office 2011
_______________________________________________

hi there

well i have been having this issues with some of the users getting this read only problem.

So here it goes, microsoft needs to improve there coding!!

in my case and i say this it might not work for all of you, (well i hope it does) the users always were using the slash ie, myfile_from_20/09/2012.xlsx.

the solution that worked for me was to remove the slash and put a dash. now when they open it, it is no longer read only.

i really hope this helps!, its people like you and me that make the problem solving a bit easier!

So as someone once said.......

THINK DIFFERENT! AMEN
vitorneto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:36 AM   #15
alivne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
So that was the problem

This problem was driving me nuts!
And who would have thought...I indeed used a slash in my filename.

This was one useful thread.
Thank you!
alivne is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:58 AM   #16
Iviking2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Not the solution

I think this solution must be an accidental solve (i.e not the real fix)
I've had this problem with a few files which now cannot be accessed from another machine because it thinks someone else is currently modifying it. I've removed all non alphabet characters (/ - _ ) and the problem remains. 10.6.8 machine trying to access a .xls file stored on a 10.8.2 iMac.
I've checked permissions are ok.
Only workround is to save as a new file on the client machine, but as it's a file a number of us work on it's not a viable solution.
Iviking2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:12 AM   #17
adoc2b
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrent View Post
I had this problem today, and finally figured out the solution. I had put a slash "/" in the filename, which is OK on the Mac, but Excel does NOT like it. When I removed the slash from the filename (using the finder), the Excel file then opened normally. I often use slashes when adding the date as part of the filename. When working on an Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file, I have to remember to use dashes, not slashes. In this case, my filename included the phrase "64/128 bit register". I changed it to "64 or 128 bit register".

Hope this helps someone. I wasted a lot of time on it.

MacBook Pro (Early 2011) running OS 10.8 Mountain Lion
Office for Mac 2011 vers 14.2.3 (120616)

_________________________________________________________________

This was totally a fix for me... whew!!!! thanks!!!!


_________________________________________________________________
adoc2b is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #18
Agentfruit
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrent View Post
I had this problem today, and finally figured out the solution. I had put a slash "/" in the filename, which is OK on the Mac, but Excel does NOT like it. When I removed the slash from the filename (using the finder), the Excel file then opened normally.
Thank you thank you thank you! Why didn't I think of this...Word won't save a doc with a slash in it but Excel sneakily saves it and then won't let you write in it again. It's been driving me NUTS. I'd tried everything...or so I thought.
Agentfruit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Oggy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Thank you!
Oggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:59 AM   #20
sensordev
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Elusive fix

Mac only computers. Problem same as descriptions above, occurs on files transferred between work and home on a USB stick formatted for PCs when bought, reformatted for Mac with Disk Utility. No problem for years, hundreds of files with NAMEdd-mm-yy.xlsx name format, then recently one out of 10 or 20 will say it it's Read Only when opened at the location away from where it was created.

Changing status with Info window has no effect. Removing the dashes from file name fixes it but you can't reinsert them without getting the Read Only status again.

Noting a post above where saving a problem file to desktop fixed it, I copied it there from the USB stick and it opened fully functional.

So I inserted "Test" at the front of the name on the desktop copy and dragged it back on the USB. Worked fine. Put "Original" at the front of the problem file name still on the USB and it worked from there. Took "Test" off the good copied file on the USB so that it had the original name and the problem came back. Took "Original" off the name of initial bad file on the USB and it was bad again.

Something in my computer still recognizes that specific file name as Read Only. Something was done on the creating computer that tagged it Read Only, though it still works there, and that tag is now on the receiving computer for that file name only, not the hundreds of others just like it (same format, same prefix to the dashed dates).

Meanwhile the files on either side of it that do still have dashes work fine. I will eliminate the dashes on the problem files only and see how it goes, sure would be nice to find the root of this problem. A Google search shows that it's widespread and has been around for a while. This is what I love about Microsoft. Well, one of many things.

Last edited by sensordev; Feb 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Mistake in description of file name
sensordev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:47 AM   #21
garyfink
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
I also had this problem. It turned out there was hidden file in the same folder with the same name as the spreadsheet, but starting with "~$". I used the app UnHidden to see it.

Deleting the ~$ file solved the problem.
garyfink is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
basic formulas do not work when opening Excel files in Numbers? stanw Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 May 16, 2014 12:16 PM
Excel Opening At Login? JonnyAlpha OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Dec 2, 2013 01:34 PM
How to stop Word and Excel constantly opening new documents jbarnes Mac Applications and Mac App Store 9 Jan 5, 2013 09:50 PM
MBP slow opening Excel file AFPoster MacBook Pro 5 Dec 20, 2012 10:32 AM
how do I stop word and excel automatically opening when I turn computer on? trek iMac 5 Jun 1, 2012 02:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC