Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The confusion seems to be whether the OP can send MMS while connected to wifi. The answer is yes. I have absolutely no problem sending MMS messages and I am always connected to wifi at home. The iPhone should automatically send it via your carrier, even when connected to wifi.

Exactly.
But if you dont have carrier data on your iphone or the correct apn settings installed for MMS it will not send the MMS over wifi.
It strictly uses carrier data to send mms and it works fine to send while you're connected to wifi. It just doesnt use the wifi connection, it sends it with carrier data instead.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Have you tired swapping the simcard with your girlfriend's phone to see if it'll work?

Graphixx30

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
You're confusing the terminology. iMessage will send pictures, text, video and audio, but it's still a very different thing from MMS and SMS.

I'm aware of the difference between MMS/SMS and iMessage. MMS/SMS on a non-iOS device needs the cell signal to send/receive messages where iMessage can send/receive over WiFi.

I knew the OP was sending from iPhone to iPhone, so my comment was more that it should be working unless as Applejuiced mentioned iMessage isn't set-up correctly or at all on either of the iPhones.

jamaggic

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
I have tmobile on 4S,,, I can send and receive MMS while on wifi imessage but can only send MMS on cellular,,, have never been able to receive MMS on tmobile cellular with any iphone 3gs, 4, or 4s.... and yes I have tried all apn settings. So it seems that the iphone will MMS over wifi without carrier support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.