Dual Hard Drive Upgrade Kit for Mac Mini - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:52 AM   #26
Allanmark
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisLord View Post
I've not found an alternative, and i'm in Northumberland. I've bought the cable from OWC and will be doing the upgrade myself once i buy a drive. I've been building PC's for years but this is my first mac......
Hi, how did buying from OWC go? I'm wanting to purchase the kit from them, just wanting to know how long delivery took and was there any customs charges?
Thanks
Allanmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:38 AM   #27
nikolajlr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denmark
Old World people can buy the OWC kit from macupgrade.eu (in Belgium):

http://macupgrade.eu/catalog/hd-ssd-...c-139_248.html

(I'm not affiliated except having bought from them a few times. Fast delivery to Denmark).

Remember to click the "Prices with VAT" link at the top of the page to avoid unpleasantries.
nikolajlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:15 AM   #28
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
An alternative would be iFitIt's dual harddrive kit. There's a German reseller:

http://www.mac-speicher-shop.de/Prod...Hard-Drive-Kit
Woyzeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:30 AM   #29
mjoshi123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobert99 View Post
There's this one from owc for 45 dollars

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/
I've used one from OWC but there is nothing special about it apart from SATA cable. I've upgraded mine to 500GB Samsung 540 + 1TB HDD. Unfortunately logic board does not slide out as easily as shown in OWC video. I gave up on taking logic board out and simply took HDD out with little bit of wiggle. After that dropped SSD in and connected it to SATA port on logic board and squeezed in HDD back. Hardest part was to get HDD out and back in. But with little bit of patience you could do it. Forget about getting Logic board out as it is shown in OWC video. It didnot work for me.
__________________
My gadgets -
Sony Vaio FW290 CTO, Dell XPS M1330, MBP 13 2.4GHz 2010, iPod Touch 64Gb/8GB, Zune 32GB, HTC Touch Pro-2, Palm Pre (My Favoraite device), Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh
mjoshi123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:48 AM   #30
kdoug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa City, IA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi123 View Post
I've used one from OWC but there is nothing special about it apart from SATA cable. I've upgraded mine to 500GB Samsung 540 + 1TB HDD. Unfortunately logic board does not slide out as easily as shown in OWC video. I gave up on taking logic board out and simply took HDD out with little bit of wiggle. After that dropped SSD in and connected it to SATA port on logic board and squeezed in HDD back. Hardest part was to get HDD out and back in. But with little bit of patience you could do it. Forget about getting Logic board out as it is shown in OWC video. It didnot work for me.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I don't see the need to secure the SSD in a desktop computer. The thought of destroying the Mother Board trying to remove it scares the Be-Jusus out of me. We're you using the OWC tool when you we're trying to remove the MB? I'm thinking if I do it your way of putting some rubber tool box liner between the 2 drives for protection.
Here's a video of a person who installed one without removing the MB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGnXdwvabg
.
__________________
Dual, Late 2012 Mac Mini's 2.6GHz quad-core i7 16GB with Samsung 840 250GB SSD's, Dell 23" s2340l and 27" s2740l Monitors, iPad Air 64GB Wi-Fi, Verizon
iPhone 5 64GB Black
kdoug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:51 AM   #31
Allanmark
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolajlr View Post
Old World people can buy the OWC kit from macupgrade.eu (in Belgium):

http://macupgrade.eu/catalog/hd-ssd-...c-139_248.html

(I'm not affiliated except having bought from them a few times. Fast delivery to Denmark).

Remember to click the "Prices with VAT" link at the top of the page to avoid unpleasantries.
Thanks for the heads up
Allanmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:08 PM   #32
mjoshi123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoug View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I don't see the need to secure the SSD in a desktop computer. The thought of destroying the Mother Board trying to remove it scares the Be-Jusus out of me. We're you using the OWC tool when you we're trying to remove the MB? I'm thinking if I do it your way of putting some rubber tool box liner between the 2 drives for protection.
Here's a video of a person who installed one without removing the MB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGnXdwvabg
.
I've not put anything in between two drives, I bought OWC toolkit but to be honest except SATA cable there is not much use with their tool kit.
Once you reach to step where you've access to harddrive (i.e. you can see hdd) after that you dont need to do anything except be patient and try to wiggle it out from that narrow opening.

I'd say follow this guide and go upto step#12
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...ve+Kit/11713/2

and once you are at step 12 you can clearly see HDD. It is simply sitting there with other side of HDD pluged into rubber holes. You could simply wiggle it out.

After that put in your SSD connected with SATA cable and plug that SATA cable into logic board.
The more hard part is trying to put hard disk back on top of SSD but trick is to be patient and look inside to see two rubber holes into which HDD will plug into and try to glide it in a manner that it gets back into those holes.
Here is tip on left side of HDD there is SATA cable connected, start putting HDD from right side in first and that will make it relatively easier to glide it in. Once HDD gets back into its rubber holes it stays at its place. I've not put anything extra between HDD and SSD.
__________________
My gadgets -
Sony Vaio FW290 CTO, Dell XPS M1330, MBP 13 2.4GHz 2010, iPod Touch 64Gb/8GB, Zune 32GB, HTC Touch Pro-2, Palm Pre (My Favoraite device), Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh
mjoshi123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:48 AM   #33
KrisLord
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northumberland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanmark View Post
Hi, how did buying from OWC go? I'm wanting to purchase the kit from them, just wanting to know how long delivery took and was there any customs charges?
Thanks
Took about a week and no customs charges at all. I went for the cheapest delivery option as normally that's the best way of missing charges I find (US post + Royal Mail vs international courier)
KrisLord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:01 AM   #34
Allanmark
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisLord View Post
Took about a week and no customs charges at all. I went for the cheapest delivery option as normally that's the best way of missing charges I find (US post + Royal Mail vs international courier)
Great cheers, same as what I did hopefully all goes well.
Allanmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac mini 2010: 10 seconds beep/tone after hard drive upgrade felipeav Mac mini 3 May 27, 2014 12:10 PM
I want to upgrade my 2006 Mac mini hard drive which one do I buy MacHaris Mac mini 4 Jul 2, 2013 11:50 AM
Mac mini dual drive kit Designed4Mac Mac mini 5 Feb 4, 2013 01:56 PM
New Mac mini 2012 and upgrade to SSD and keep 1tb hard drive? armandxp Mac mini 13 Oct 27, 2012 10:04 PM
Dual drives in Mid-2010 mini... To kit or not to kit? Ocean-Mini Mac mini 0 Jun 1, 2012 03:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC