Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I"m sitting here reading some rumors about Apple evaluating using IGZO displays in their iPhone's and iPad's. Would IGZO displays offer a higher resolution than what is found on say, the iPhone 5?

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
IGZO should allow high pixel densities, yes, but given Apple's definition of a Retina display, it doesn't necessarily mean the iOS devices' display densities will increase beyond their current levels any time soon.

I think that Apple is more interested in the thinner displays and reduced power consumption that will result from the technology.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
IGZO allows for energy efficiency as opposed to being a more intense resolution screen. Adding resolution would defeat the purpose.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Don't forget Apple's old video camera patent. With smaller Pixels (and greater gaps between them), Apple can now intersperse the video camera sensor within the display, that way your eyes will no longer apeear to be looking below the screen but right at the other persons eyes. It also eliminates another component by integrating into the display. With thinner bezel requirements, it means the top and bottom of the phone can be smaller thus allowing a larger display without markedly increasing the size of the phone...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I"m sitting here reading some rumors about Apple evaluating using IGZO displays in their iPhone's and iPad's. Would IGZO displays offer a higher resolution than what is found on say, the iPhone 5?
Yes, it could. Or it could offer the same resolution at the same pixel density, and drastically reduce the required backlight (LEDs) (which would mean a much less powerful battery is needed OR the device can last much longer on one charge). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.