Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mina83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Did buy iPhone 4S online but the carrier is softbank. When I did use the phone it work for one day. After that no signal. When I went to softbank they told me the real owner did not pay so they block the imei. So I can't use the phone til now. How can I unblocked it and the version is 6.1.3

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
i think it could only be unblocked by the carrier who blocked it.

if you bought it off ebay and paid via paypal, you could file a complaint and try to get your money back.

if you bought it off a random website and paid via credit card, you could contact your bank and they might be able to file a charge back for you.

Mina83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Actually I did talk to the person but the seller told me that the person sold them the phone is not answering there email. They won't give back the money. It's there anything else I should do? Or maybe is there a chance that the phone can be unblocked or open line?

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
Actually I did talk to the person but the seller told me that the person sold them the phone is not answering there email. They won't give back the money. It's there anything else I should do? Or maybe is there a chance that the phone can be unblocked or open line?

did you pay it by using your credit card? if so, contact your bank for a chargeback. (you can certainly go through this pathway if your card is visa or mastercard, not sure about others. i know there is a japanese one, but i'm not sure if they provide such service.)

this is a fraud, you can get police involved if you want to. in australia, when you sell a phone to a business, say 'cashconverter', you would need your ID and everything to prove your identity, so they can track you down, should anything wrong with the phone. not sure whether that's the case in JP, if so, it should be easy for police to track that person down and get your money back.

there is nothing legal you can do to unblock imei since the block is placed on carrier end, where they prevent you from connecting to their network. you can try to sell it on ebay to people in other countries since imei block is usually carrier/country specific, however the phone is from softbank, which means it's locked to softbank and won't be able to use in other regions of the world anyway. In conclusion, you might need to sell it on ebay as parts to get at least a bit of your money back. I would encourage you to state the status of the phone clearly on ebay if you chose to sell it there as parts.

Mina83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I did pay Visa card but they won't give it back. How can I sell it on eBay? I don't know how? It's an iPhone 4s

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
I did pay Visa card but they won't give it back. How can I sell it on eBay? I don't know how? It's an iPhone 4s

it doesn't matter if the seller wants to give the money back. you can contact your bank, tell them what happened, and ask whether they can do a chargeback for you. they will file a request to the bank the seller is with to get the money back for you. what you need to do is to provide the bank with evidence such as receipts and the communication records between you and the seller, should your bank ask for them. the seller doesn't have to agree with the chargeback, it can be forced if your case is strong enough. i would recommend you to try this first before you sell it on ebay as it won't yield you a lot of money by selling as parts.

for selling things on ebay, you can register an account and there will be a step-by-step guide for you to follow, when you get the step where you need to state the condition of the phone, just select 'not functioning, selling as parts' or something like that. if you have any japanese online c2c shopping website you are familiar with, you could give it a go as well. i know rakuten...but i'm not really sure whether you can sell stuff on it as an individual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.