Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I suspect Apple has slowed down its roll-out of new products temporarily to catch its breath but also to slow down competitors who do nothing but copy Apple ideas ahead of the drop-dead date for getting new products ready for the Christmas season. It's a smart move on both counts. Get your competitors to commit to older tech and then leap forward.
Huh? :confused:

----------

I also believe it's a launcher, which fits with "New Home".

Not only does that instantly give it the ability to run on millions of already owned devices, but the devices can be upgraded independently.

Moreover, if FB is smart, they'll have a really nice tablet version using all the extra space.

This could be a killer launcher app for Teens and Grandparents, and sell tons of Android phones and tablets.

Is FB still a big thing for teens?

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
If they call it Android they are not forking it

Rumors say they're calling it Facebook Home and not using the Android trademark. Then again maybe it's just a launcher.

Biggest thing is HTC would be in trouble if it was a fork. But I also think it makes good sense for FB to distance itself from Google as much as possible and using a fork does that.

Update: This is pretty interesting. The rumor here is FB's ultimate goal is to have FB baked into Android like it is in iOS and they're trying to do it by courting the OEM's. HTC is the first OEM they've courted and it's not a fork either - more like a deeply integrated app/skin. This makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
When you fully integrate a software app that basically becomes part of the phone's OS, you run the risk of that phone becoming obsolete overnight if that company in question fails.

I think this is a bad idea, but we'll find out more in a few days time.

What Apple does with 3rd party apps is good enough, and Apple can quite easily remove them if the company that makes the app goes belly up without lobotomising the phone's OS

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
No fork.

Just another Google sanctioned Android device.

http://9to5google.com/2013/04/03/facebook-home-offers-a-fresh-take-on-android-ui-images/

bottom.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.