Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 7, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

MagSafe Adapter Key Ring Now Available on Kickstarter

The MagSafe Adapter Key Ring began as a simple 3D printing project, but because of the popularity of the accessory, creator Jonathan Bobrow launched a Kickstarter campaign to create a new and improved version.

Now named the KeyBit, the MagSafe Adapter Key Ring produced via the Kickstarter campaign will feature an improved manufacturing process that results in a nickel-plated milled steel product.*As with the original version, the KeyBit is an accessory that is designed to attach to Apple's MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter, preventing the small converter from becoming lost.

The KeyBit attaches magnetically to the converter to hold it in place when not in use and it also includes the option for a 3D printed cover, which comes in a variety of colors. A standard KeyBit requires a $15 pledge, while a KeyBit with the cover costs $20.

The KeyBit has an estimated delivery date of August 2013, but a $30 donation will net backers a standard KeyBit along with a printed version to be mailed immediately after the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Article Link: MagSafe Adapter Key Ring Now Available on Kickstarter
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Now if I could only find my keys......
macs4nw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Mine has never detached from my charger...
Klae17 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Are there really that many people that need to carry them on their keychain? Why not leave it on your charger? It stays nicely and it would seem everyone I know throws their charger in a bag so the chances of it falling off and getting lost are much less than if you put it on your keychain.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:46 PM   #5
needfx
macrumors 68020

my keyset can only be complete with the super short lightning connector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nomad.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	411284  
needfx is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 07:12 PM   #6
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I have the adapter and it has come in handy - many people I know have MBP's so when I am with them I can get a quick charge in even though I have magsafe 2.

But I just keep this in a zippered pouch in my laptop bag as I pretty much never have my laptop without its bag...
Old May 7, 2013, 07:40 PM   #7
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Meh... I have a rMBP and MBP and have never felt the need for such a silly accessory.
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
ShinySteelRobot
macrumors member

Yay now I can easily accidentally de-magnetize the magnetic stripes on my credit cards and hotel keycards simply by putting them in my pocket with my keys, without having to wait for my cell phone or computer speakers to do it for me.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

That's a bit pricey. £11 (+£6 shipping) for a little metal square with a magnet?

Costs more than the adapter itself! (and that's from Apple)
Saladinos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #10
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
Are there really that many people that need to carry them on their keychain? Why not leave it on your charger? It stays nicely and it would seem everyone I know throws their charger in a bag so the chances of it falling off and getting lost are much less than if you put it on your keychain.
Personally I can't always leave mine on my charger because I still have a computer that doesn't use Magsafe 2, so I take it off when I need to use the charger for that computer. I already lost my converter unfortunately
jclo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:58 PM   #11
cgk.emu
Banned

Err, sorry, dumbest thing I've seen in a very long time for Macs. And I've been using (hey, it's an addiction) since 1990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

The MagSafe Adapter Key Ring began as a simple 3D printing project, but because of the popularity of the accessory, creator Jonathan Bobrow launched a Kickstarter campaign to create a new and improved version.

Now named the KeyBit, the MagSafe Adapter Key Ring produced via the Kickstarter campaign will feature an improved manufacturing process that results in a nickel-plated milled steel product.*As with the original version, the KeyBit is an accessory that is designed to attach to Apple's MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter, preventing the small converter from becoming lost.

The KeyBit attaches magnetically to the converter to hold it in place when not in use and it also includes the option for a 3D printed cover, which comes in a variety of colors. A standard KeyBit requires a $15 pledge, while a KeyBit with the cover costs $20.

The KeyBit has an estimated delivery date of August 2013, but a $30 donation will net backers a standard KeyBit along with a printed version to be mailed immediately after the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Article Link: MagSafe Adapter Key Ring Now Available on Kickstarter
cgk.emu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
johnnnw
macrumors 65816

This is pretty nifty.

Pledged for one for my sister, she's lost like 4 of them already
johnnnw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 12:17 AM   #13
MH01
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
Wait, is this where Samsung users get to chime in about the uselessness of something like this? Of course not, because regardless of how ridiculous and useless a product for a Mac is, droves will defend it as magical and revolutionary.
Pfffft! Get with the programme ! School boy error, it's only magical and revolutionary if apple produce it.

Eg Thunderbolt docks do not get much lovin on MR, given thier $$$$$$$$$ magical cost.
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 07:14 AM   #14
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

FYI for those interested in this project, in the Kickstarter Calender, August 2013 occurs during April 2014 of the Gregorian Calendar.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:16 AM   #15
kevinws
macrumors member

I could see it useful if you have friends with older MacBooks and you forget your charger at home. The interior of my laptop bag has a place where you can clip a key chain. If I had a newer MacBook I would just hang the adapter there and keep it for emergencies.
kevinws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 09:49 AM   #16
inkhead
macrumors regular

Why not gasp just buy a 2nd power adapter and never deal with this issue as long as you live?

99% of people are doing this because of work/home different setups… Leave one at both locations. :-P
inkhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Rossatron
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhead View Post
Why not gasp just buy a 2nd power adapter and never deal with this issue as long as you live?

99% of people are doing this because of work/home different setups… Leave one at both locations. :-P
price, i guess. over here the power adapters are a bit expensive.

anyway, it's a nice idea if you switch a lot between the two. otherwise i guess you can just throw the adapter anywhere in your bag and fish for it only when needed.

one thing i can't understand is charging extra for the cover. seems to me like the adapter may fall off of it at some point (like when you shake your keys when starting a car). i think they need to implement a cover to any model they offer
Rossatron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 10:29 AM   #18
sambredeson
macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm stupid, but what does this thing actually do? What is it an adapter for?

Edit: NM, I just looked at the Kickstarter page and figured it out. I had no idea people even needed these.
sambredeson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 12:11 PM   #19
fortysomegeek
macrumors regular

magsafe adapters are cheap enough to buy a few to keep in different locations.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:57 PM   #20
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
Eg Thunderbolt docks do not get much lovin on MR, given thier $$$$$$$$$ magical cost.
Hah!! True!!
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 02:34 PM   #21
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Am I the only one who does not understand what this thing does?
Old May 8, 2013, 03:02 PM   #22
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
it's a combo

the adapter adapts, the key ring holsters
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 03:05 PM   #23
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Nope. I've had to do some digging just to understand it.

Apple's site explains the need for the adapter.

Quote:
The MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter allows you to use the MagSafe connector on your LED Cinema Display, Thunderbolt Display, or MagSafe Power Adapter to charge your MagSafe 2-equipped Mac computer.
So if you have a MagSafe charger and you have a computer that came with the MagSafe 2, then you can use this adapter. You can buy one and have it on your keys or 3 and toss them in various places so you always have them. (car, bag, home).
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:37 AM   #24
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

The original magsafe power supply that came with my macbook pro lasted just a little over two years before the cable broke -- at the base of the power supply. I was VERY careful with this one too! Never used those stupid pull-out hooks (coz from my previous powerbook power supply this resulted in the cable being broken in MULTIPLE places)!

Imagine the feeling of shelling out that much to use your old power supply only to find out you'll have to buy a new one in a couple months' time anyways!!

I still think Apple should design the cables on their power supplies to be removable/replaceable. But hey... Apple needs money.

NOT~!
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion