Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 21, 2014, 07:51 PM   #126
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
You need to go look up the meaning of the word multiple.
I know what multiple means. Your comments can be misleading, making readers think they have to search "over and over", when in fact, it's one search, then one more search. Technically, it's search, then "search over", not "search over and over". It's not a hardship to perform 2 searches, and certainly not as difficult as locating, downloading, installing and learning to use another app, when another 30 seconds or less to perform one additional search would have done the job.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 09:24 PM   #127
tm0000
macrumors member

It shows the software in finder, but it says "no matches found" in iFileX

Quote:
From here it looks like that app comes with Toast. Did you install Toast?

Where are you seeing it in Finder?

If it can be seen in Finder a search like this in iFileX should show it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 10.21.38 PM.png
Views:	28
Size:	985.0 KB
ID:	495128  
tm0000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 09:30 PM   #128
tm0000
macrumors member

Okay, so, when trying to search for files in finder.. when I add search system files .. visible or invisible, why does it show my bookmarks in safari?

The same thing happened when I tried uninstalling another app, the search showed my emails too! I don't know what I'm doing wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 10.26.55 PM.png
Views:	13
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	495130  
Old Sep 21, 2014, 09:34 PM   #129
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm0000 View Post
Okay, so, when trying to search for files in finder.. when I add search system files .. visible or invisible, why does it show my bookmarks in safari?

The same thing happened when I tried uninstalling another app, the search showed my emails too! I don't know what I'm doing wrong
You're not doing anything wrong. It's normal that search results may include emails, bookmarks and other items you don't want to delete. That's why you should exercise care when choosing items for deletion.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2014, 01:22 AM   #130
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I know what multiple means. Your comments can be misleading, making readers think they have to search "over and over", when in fact, it's one search, then one more search. Technically, it's search, then "search over", not "search over and over". It's not a hardship to perform 2 searches, and certainly not as difficult as locating, downloading, installing and learning to use another app, when another 30 seconds or less to perform one additional search would have done the job.
There is nothing misleading at all about what I said. I simply provided another tool to do the job without multiple searches. If you don't want to use that tool, don't use it. Simple as that.

Quote:
It shows the software in finder, but it says "no matches found" in iFileX
Odd. In that Finder screenshot, select DiscCatalogMaker and hit command-i to bring up the get info pane and tell me what file path it shows at the top under Where:.

Quote:

That's normal. Those are all just different files on your drive.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 03:33 AM   #131
Signum17
macrumors newbie

chmodbpf folder and inetget

Hi

I checked this removal guide and came across an interesting item.
  • Folder > /Library/StartupItems

In my StartupItems folder I came across a chmodbpf folder. In this folder the plist reads: Description = iNetGet;
Provides = (
iNetGet,
);
Requires = (
Resolver,

So do I put this back or delete it?

Gene
Signum17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 06:38 AM   #132
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signum17 View Post
Hi

I checked this removal guide and came across an interesting item.
  • Folder > /Library/StartupItems

In my StartupItems folder I came across a chmodbpf folder. In this folder the plist reads: Description = iNetGet;
Provides = (
iNetGet,
);
Requires = (
Resolver,

So do I put this back or delete it?

Gene
http://www.etinysoft.com/inetget.html

Looks like that startup item is part of iNetGet. Is that something you installed and want there? If not, then yes delete it.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 07:54 AM   #133
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.
Weaselboy, one follow up please...I was about to instal iFileX but see that there is a more full featured application called FindAnyFile...is iFileX sufficient for purposes of deleting applications or is there a need for FindAnyFile and why?

Thanks...
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 08:05 AM   #134
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
Weaselboy, one follow up please...I was about to instal iFileX but see that there is a more full featured application called FindAnyFile...is iFileX sufficient for purposes of deleting applications or is there a need for FindAnyFile and why?

Thanks...
I have not used FAF, but from looking at the features on their web site, it looks very similar to iFileX with a few added search filter options if you think that would be useful to you. But for just simple, system wide file searches to delete apps, I think iFileX is fine. Really just a matter of personal preference here I think.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 09:47 AM   #135
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

Adobe apps come with an uninstaller:

Or use the CC cleaner tool:
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suit...-problems.html
(Click on: 3. 'Run the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool' - and run the app for your platform)
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:11 PM   #136
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmunky View Post
Or use the CC cleaner tool
As already stated earlier in this thread, if you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 02:33 PM   #137
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have not used FAF, but from looking at the features on their web site, it looks very similar to iFileX with a few added search filter options if you think that would be useful to you. But for just simple, system wide file searches to delete apps, I think iFileX is fine. Really just a matter of personal preference here I think.
Thank-you...I just need something for a complete and thorough search to delete apps...am going to give iFileX a try!

Quote:
As already stated earlier in this thread, if you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
Agreed...I have been following your approach / tutorial since the day I first bought a Mac and could not eb happier...thank you for sharing, much appreciated!
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 02:54 PM   #138
Signum17
macrumors newbie

Quote:
http://www.etinysoft.com/inetget.html

Looks like that startup item is part of iNetGet. Is that something you installed and want there? If not, then yes delete it.
Thanks Weaselboy. No I don't recall installing anything like that, and I do not have this program on my Macbook.

Anyway I don't know what it can do...and definitely don't want anything messing with the internals of my OSX install.

Gene
Signum17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 04:48 PM   #139
tm0000
macrumors member

Quote:
Since Mavericks the method of using Finder explained in this thread no longer works without manually navigating to the specific folder you want to search over and over.

Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.
Hi,

I am trying to uninstall something and ifilex is showing some files that I don't want to delete. I can't figure out how to keep the files that I want? I tried right clicking and I tried searching the menu. Can you please help?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 07:22 PM   #140
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signum17 View Post
Thanks Weaselboy. No I don't recall installing anything like that, and I do not have this program on my Macbook.

Anyway I don't know what it can do...and definitely don't want anything messing with the internals of my OSX install.

Gene
Then you can just delete that whole chmodbpf folder you found and that should kill it. If you have trouble deleting it, try a boot to safe mode the delete it. A safe mode boot will prevent any startup items like that from launching so they can be deleted.

Quote:
Hi,

I am trying to uninstall something and ifilex is showing some files that I don't want to delete. I can't figure out how to keep the files that I want? I tried right clicking and I tried searching the menu. Can you please help?

Thanks in advance!
Just do the search so you have a search result list then select the first file you want to delete. Now hold down the command key as you one by one select the others to delete. Once you have made all your selections then click the trash can in the toolbar.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:13 PM   #141
tm0000
macrumors member

Quote:
Then you can just delete that whole chmodbpf folder you found and that should kill it. If you have trouble deleting it, try a boot to safe mode the delete it. A safe mode boot will prevent any startup items like that from launching so they can be deleted.

Just do the search so you have a search result list then select the first file you want to delete. Now hold down the command key as you one by one select the others to delete. Once you have made all your selections then click the trash can in the toolbar.
Thank you so much, Weaselboy for your help!

In ifilex, how do I change the search criteria to include system files?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 01:58 AM   #142
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You can use apps like AppCleaner and AppZapper, but even they don't delete everything. They mostly only delete the .plist files that contain your user preferences for the apps, in case you ever want to reinstall them. These are very small text files and don't eat up much space anyway. What those apps leave behind are frequently much bigger files, typically located in the following folders:
/Users/username/Library/Application Support/
/Users/username/Library/Caches/
/Users/username/Library/Logs/
etc.
There is no app that removes everything. Even an app's uninstaller will leave things behind. If you want it all gone, manual deletion is the only way.
I use AppCleaner. During the the last year of so, I guess I've uninstalled at least 20-30 apps with it. I just checked the folders you suggested and happened to find remains from only 1 of all those apps. So I guess AppCleaner is doing a pretty good job.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 08:05 AM   #143
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Thank you so much, Weaselboy for your help!

In ifilex, how do I change the search criteria to include system files?

Thanks in advance!
iFileX searches system files by default, so no need to change anything. That's why I prefer it over using Finder for these searches. Just start it up and search without having to configure anything.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 09:27 AM   #144
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
I use AppCleaner. During the the last year of so, I guess I've uninstalled at least 20-30 apps with it. I just checked the folders you suggested and happened to find remains from only 1 of all those apps. So I guess AppCleaner is doing a pretty good job.
When you search for app-related files, be sure you've included "System files" > "are included" in your search criteria, or they won't show up. Those 4 folders aren't the only places app-related files could be. Also, it depends on what kind of app is being deleted. Some simpler apps may only have the .app file and the .plist file, which removal apps will find. Many apps have a large number of associated files which may be in a variety of locations, which is where app removal software falls short. Even if they leave files behind, if you're happy with their results, that's what matters, as long as you're aware that such apps aren't completely effective.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store