Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GDV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I just purchased Aperture and merged my iPhoto library into the Aperture library. My iPhoto library has almost 11,000 pictures and takes almost 50 Gb. The conversion seemed to go well and I have all my photos. However, the Aperture library is over 80 Gb for the same pictures. Did I do something wrong or is it normal for an Aperture library to take that much extra space--almost 60% more space?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

GDV

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
By default, Aperture makes "previews" for all of you pictures. The orignals are never touched. Think of it this way... you NEVER get to see your originals. All you ever see are previews and versions.

Originals take space... whatever they are when they are imported. Versions take essentially zero space. They show you what the originals look like after the non-destructive editing is applied (included null editing). Previews take up space... but generally less space than your originals... especially if your originals are RAW or RAW+JPEG.

You can actually turn off preview generation. I do not recommend it... nor have I ever done it.

I would not recommend that you worry about a few 10's of GBs. On the grand scheme of things... storage is "free".

/Jim

GDV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Thank you! This helps me to understand what transpired in the merging of the libraries.

GDV

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
They both can share libraries as well,you could have used iPhoto library instead of merging it.

OK, I'm about to make the switch, what's the best way?

UPDATE: So I just tried to do the import and Aperture says my iPhoto Library is older than 7.x.x and to upgrade my iPhoto library. Well, I know my iPhoto is 9.x.x. I wonder what gives.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.