Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Onto the cloud? Like if you want to setup " as new" and then be able to get your old text messages back. I don't see why this is hard for apple to do.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Onto the cloud? Like if you want to setup " as new" and then be able to get your old text messages back. I don't see why this is hard for apple to do.

If you want to save your text messages why not just restore from backup? That way they are in "the cloud" already.
I know some people don't like to restore from backup, but I haven't restored as new since 2008 and I don't have any problems.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
If you want to save your text messages why not just restore from backup? That way they are in "the cloud" already.
I know some people don't like to restore from backup, but I haven't restored as new since 2008 and I don't have any problems.

Just having some battery bugs , but I have some really important texts. That's why haha

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Because that's not how "restoring as new" works. If you want them either restore from a backup or use on of the multitude of programs that can accomplish this for you, I haven't lost a text since 2007 and my iPhone 2G.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
The fact there's no other way to restore texts is why I've never managed to restore as new to solve a hardware problem.

I realize there isn't always a fix for every software problem but abandoning backups isn't always the easy option.

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
All you need is iBackupBot.

Use iBB to backup this folder:
Library/SMS
sms.db is the main database that has all your texts
If you have any attachments they are in the Attachments folder

Then you can use iBackupBot to manually restore these files to your restored iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.