Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:59 PM   #76
rogershaffer1
macrumors newbie

Proper Sim Swap Method

Just upgraded to IOS 6.1. Used this SIMPLE sim swap method again to update APN settings. Took two minutes. No downloading ibackupbot, no unlockit.co.nz that doesn't work for MMS anyway, no learning curve.

http://senseiphone.com/enable-straig...one5-10225502/
rogershaffer1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #77
LostZebra
macrumors newbie

SIM Swap Method does not work!

rogershaffer1 - I did this method exactly and not exactly. No matter what I do it does not work. What else could be going on?

Also, I did Straight Talk APN settings from unlockit.co.nz previously and that did not work. I did remove profile as mentioned in http://senseiphone.com/enable-straig...one5-10225502/.

I've tried several methods to no avail. Any one else have problems with IOS 6.0.1 and iphone 4s that found a solution?

I always get same result when trying use data - "could not activate cellular data network. PDP authentication error."
LostZebra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:38 AM   #78
LostZebra
macrumors newbie

Upgraded to ios6.1

I upgraded to ios6.1 last night and followed the sensi... directions exactly and of course it doesn't work.

Could there be a deeper issue that is being overlooked. Any other setting I should take into account?

When I first started this process initially I did a reset by backing-up and restoring from I tunes as directed by ATT. Could this be the problem?
LostZebra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:42 PM   #79
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
The method using iBackupBot to edit the plist files has been deleted from the HowardForum wiki (although you can see the older versions of the page).

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ht_Talk_iPhone

I think it was probably deleted because the SIM card swap is easier. A couple of tips-

1. If your iPhone is still locked, you can get it unlocked online for a couple of bucks now, even if AT&T refuses. I bought an unlock on EBay from unlock ace, EBay has now removed unlocking listings but you can go to http://unlockace.com, I later bought another unlock through their web site for a couple of bucks and everything went smoothly (paid through Paypal so little risk besides the 2 bucks.)

2. You can buy a T-Mobile or T-Mobile compatible SIM card on EBay for $1 shipped. The one I bought is by 'Ultra Mobile', I am pretty sure they are a T-Moble MVNO so same difference.

Just follow the directions on the Howard Forums wiki verbatim, they give step by step directions. The majority of the info people have posted here is good, but easier to follow consolidated instructions.

I have a iPhone 4S running 6.1.2 on Straight Talk and no problems so far. I did have 1 other Straight Talk SIM that wasn't getting data for some reason, I swapped SIM cards with my phone and verified that it was the SIM card not the phone, a quick post at Straight Talk support forums and they got it working. So if you install the APN via unlockit.co.nz and data is not working, it might be possible there's a hitch with your SIM and ST needs to fix it.
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6