Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
4. You're never entitled to an unreasonable expectation of perfection.

He doesn't want perfection, he wants the product that was advertised and that he paid for.

The kind of excuse making you're attempting here, which I'm sorry to say is very common, is NOT supportive of Apple.

What you're actually doing is rationalizing a form of mediocrity that undermines Apple's brand and claim to be the quality alternative to everybody else.

If the quality standard illustrated in this thread is deemed to be acceptable, then why don't we all buy PCs, given that the mediocrity experience is widely available at a lower price?

Being rude to Apple employees is pointless and unacceptable, because you'll rarely if ever talk to those in Apple who cause these problems.

However, it is important to challenge Apple to reach it's very highest potential. That is exactly what Steve Jobs did his entire life.

All the little Apple fan boys who want to rationalize failures are not supporting Apple or the brilliant vision of Steve Jobs. They are instead talking like minions of the Microsoft mediocrity mindless corporate drone culture.

Sorry to put it that way, but there has to be some push back to the forces within Apple culture that don't get what quality is about.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
He doesn't want perfection, he wants the product that was advertised and that he paid for.

The kind of excuse making you're attempting here, which I'm sorry to say is very common, is NOT supportive of Apple.

Sorry to put it that way, but there has to be some push back to the forces within Apple culture that don't get what quality is about.

No, he wants perfection. His history of retuning and requesting replacement machines (instead of repairs) and the sheer quantity of replacements, along with the harassment of the executives at Apple, demonstrate that no matter what they do, Apple will be unable to satisfy him. The level of product quality that they provide, as a mass-production-quality item is clearly not up to what this guy wants, so after extensive attempts to provide "what was advertised and paid for" with multiple replacement machines that were all summarily rejected, they finally decided that no machine will be good enough and washed their hands of him.

This is not a post trying to "defend Apple's mediocrity", it's simply a statement that you can't please everyone, and it's clear this guy wants the equivalent of a hand-crafted product quality from a mass market device and it's simply unrealistic. This doesn't make Apple's products poor quality, it just means that the level of quality that the OP is expecting is beyond that of a mass produced computer.

He's also self-contradictory, since he has stated that he "just wants a computer that works" yet has rejected working computers because of cosmetic blemishes on the body.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013

What you're actually doing is rationalizing a form of mediocrity that undermines Apple's brand and claim to be the quality alternative to everybody else.

If the quality standard illustrated in this thread is deemed to be acceptable, then why don't we all buy PCs, given that the mediocrity experience is widely available at a lower price?

Being rude to Apple employees is pointless and unacceptable, because you'll rarely if ever talk to those in Apple who cause these problems.

However, it is important to challenge Apple to reach it's very highest potential. That is exactly what Steve Jobs did his entire life.

All the little Apple fan boys who want to rationalize failures are not supporting Apple or the brilliant vision of Steve Jobs. They are instead talking like minions of the Microsoft mediocrity mindless corporate drone culture.

Alright that's ludicrous. Apple is the best overall quality and I'm not supporting their downfall by accepting that even with Apple, some slight flaws will occur.

But it's absurd to demand what this guy has demanded. He wants a product that exceeds even a known "good" sample. That's just playing the Applecare lottery and abusing it. I'm not a fanboy, so I'm not going to let things slide, but I'm not going to waste my time scanning it with a microscope.

Good example: this "yellow screen" thing which I see on here. My iMac has it, but only if I sit and stare and compare screens. Is it a flaw? Yes. Is it noticeable within reason? No.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
What the OP actually said was....

I've had to have quite a few iMac replacements for my 27" for a bad airport card, non functional bluetooth, cosmetic damage

1) bad airport card
2) non functional bluetooth
3) cosmetic damage

Do previous posters notice how they addressed only the cosmetic damage, in a transparent attempt to paint the OP as a pathetic whiner unreasonably expecting perfection etc?

Such attempts to deny the facts and blindly support Apple no matter what, which are common throughout Apple culture (which is the reason I'm harping on this), are not helpful to such posters, or to Apple.

Do you guys know anything about the life of Steve Jobs and his role at Apple?

Jobs was very well known for being a relentless perfectionist.

Jobs was very well known for being absolutely obsessed with how things look, ie. cosmetics. His stellar contribution to Apple was to endlessly push, push, push, push against complacency and mediocrity. He demanded that Apple continually take big risks and constantly reinvent itself.

That's who you are debating here, Steve Jobs, the brilliant pain in the ass person who is most responsible for you being an Apple customer and member of this forum.

I know posters are sincere and well intended in their support of Apple. And I agree rudeness to Apple employees and websites like "Apple Sucks" are a pointless waste of time.

I'm not advocating a holy jihad against Apple. I'm advocating that Apple fan boys stop having an almost religious relationship with Apple so that they can be loyal to the real mission of Apple as created by it's founder Steve Jobs, a relentless never ending drive for perfection.

Here's why.

Some younger readers may not realize that our consumer culture has been undergoing a "Customer Is King" revolution since at least the 1960s. As example, when I was young you couldn't customize an order at a restaurant. You almost needed an attorney to return anything at a store. All that began to change in the sixties, and the Customer Is King revolution exploded when the net became available to the broad public.

This Customer Is King revolution is not over. As example, consider the dawn of personalized medicine where custom drugs will be created on the spot just for you and your personal health situation.

These are historic forces which are far bigger than any of us, including Apple. If Apple wants to remain a leader, it doesn't have the option of being a bit better than it's competitors.

If Apple wants to stay on top it has to remain loyal to the mission of it's visionary founder, a relentless unreasonable ever more demanding reach for perfection.

That is, a chronic state of creative dissatisfaction. I'm suggesting this state of mind be most carefully applied to the customer experience, because it is the customers who provide the money that funds Apple. All the same genius at Apple that goes in to advancing the feature set can also be applied to endlessly improving the customer experience.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Truth of life:

There are some folks who will NEVER be satisfied, no matter what.

Just the way it is...

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
There are some folks who will NEVER be satisfied, no matter what.

Other truths of life:

1) Nobody ever claimed that it was possible to satisfy everybody about everything.

2) It is because Steve Jobs took on this impossible mission and embraced it with relentless enthusiasm, that we are meeting on a Mac forum, instead of PC forum.

3) All comments such as "it works for me" and "you can't please everybody" and "Apple is not as bad as the PC makers" etc are rationalizations of a complacent mediocre status quo in regards to quality. Microsoft mindset.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Other truths of life:

1) Nobody ever claimed that it was possible to satisfy everybody about everything.

2) It is because Steve Jobs took on this impossible mission and embraced it with relentless enthusiasm, that we are meeting on a Mac forum, instead of PC forum.

3) All comments such as "it works for me" and "you can't please everybody" and "Apple is not as bad as the PC makers" etc are rationalizations of a complacent mediocre status quo in regards to quality. Microsoft mindset.

Err, yes they did. This thread is full of people who claim that you are *entitled* to *absolute perfection* when ordering an expensive computer, and that Apple has an obligation to deliver on that, thus clearly stating that it must be possible to please everyone.

The original customer is not typical, and Apple has no obligation to keep throwing replacement machines at him until he finally finds a "perfect" one that he won't return.

People here are also claiming that "defenders of apple" are ignoring the issues he had with wifi and bluetooth, but that's not it - the guy demanded replacement machines instead of repairs, and then subsequently returned those replacements due to some other issue, some of them being cosmetic.

It's at this point that Apple says "it's time to call it quits", but this doesn't mean they're lacking in quality now, just that certain customers are expecting more from a mass produced product than is possible to guarantee.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Thank you for helping to make Samsung the undisputed leader in the computing device market! We here at Samsung really appreciate your support!

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Good news! I talked to Tim Cook and he agreed to edit the sales copy for Macs to reflect the suggestions of some posters above. Good job guys!

Here are some quotes from the coming new Mac sales page, to show that Tim Cook really is listening to you.

Pay full price for a brand new broken Mac, and Apple will probably fix it for you, for free!

Do your job as a customer 100% perfectly by paying every single penny of the sticker price for a new Mac on every single purchase no excuses, and in return Apple guarantees we might do the same for you, maybe, if we feel like it!

If your brand new Mac has problems, don't worry, you can drive it back and forth to the Apple store on your own time and at your own expense as many times as it takes for you to help us fix our mistake! Why do your job, when you could do ours!?

Apple will never replace your broken brand new Mac, we'll just repair it again and again and again, until you've been lucky enough to pay full price for a used refurb!

Why apologize when whatever the problem is, it's always the user's fault!

Our sales pages are finally honest, and we're proud of that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.