Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:16 AM   #1
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Canadian Apple Store

I want to buy someone an iP5 as a christmas present. can i pick it up (full price) from the retail store, or do I have to order online from the apple store & wait the 2-3 weeks?

I know you couldn't get one like that on launch day but it's been almost 2 months.

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:47 AM   #2
anonjd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
I want to buy someone an iP5 as a christmas present. can i pick it up (full price) from the retail store, or do I have to order online from the apple store & wait the 2-3 weeks?

I know you couldn't get one like that on launch day but it's been almost 2 months.

Thanks
None of the Apple retail stores will sell you a factory unlocked iPhone yet, unfortunately.

No one really knows when/if they'll sell factory unlocked iPhones at the retail locations. Personally, I think they'll continue to only sell locked iPhones in stores, and factory unlocked iPhones online.

My suggestion would be to order one online, so you know you'll have it by Christmas, instead of waiting out to see if they start selling them in stores.
anonjd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3
touchu4g
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonjd View Post
None of the Apple retail stores will sell you a factory unlocked iPhone yet, unfortunately.

No one really knows when/if they'll sell factory unlocked iPhones at the retail locations. Personally, I think they'll continue to only sell locked iPhones in stores, and factory unlocked iPhones online.

My suggestion would be to order one online, so you know you'll have it by Christmas, instead of waiting out to see if they start selling them in stores.
That's in the US. In Canada, if you find an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store, it'll be factory unlocked. My father bought an iPhone 5 from the Apple Store and it's unlocked. In the US, from what I believe, there are 3 versions of the iPhone 5. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Those are locked.
touchu4g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
anonjd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchu4g View Post
That's in the US. In Canada, if you find an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store, it'll be factory unlocked. My father bought an iPhone 5 from the Apple Store and it's unlocked. In the US, from what I believe, there are 3 versions of the iPhone 5. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Those are locked.
A lot of people are saying that. I went to an Apple store and asked if I could get an iPhone 5, and explained that I wanted to pay the full retail price, and not renew my contract. The person said that they currently don't sell factory unlocked iPhone 5s in the store, and that I could only get one that is locked to a carrier of my choice.

Some people have said if you buy one full price, all you have to do is restore it in iTunes and it will give you a notification that it is unlocked.
anonjd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Ih8reno
macrumors 6502a

I heard that this year they are only selling the unlocked ones online in Canada now.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:00 PM   #6
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Incase anyone cares or needs to know. You cannot buy an unlocked iPhone 5 in store, only online.

You can however buy a 4, or 4s unlocked in stores. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but I guess they want to curb people buying them and selling them for profit.

I asked if the 5 would be available unlocked in store anytime soon, and she said she didn't know.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone