Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Wakeywarrior
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Witcher 2 on base 27 with added Ram and Fusion

I'm playing Witcher 2 in OSX on my base 27 inch (didn't want to pay 320 more to upgrade to higher version and add on 680 which is what it costs in UK for what will be sparodic gaming) and it plays pretty good. I have it on high settings, but the resolution at 1280 x 720- no problems with it at all. The lack of RAM on the card only makes a difference if you go for native resolution. It looks fine at 1280x720.

So anyone worried about gaming on base 27 inch iMac- don't- unless you want the most demanding games on the native resolution.

I have Fusion and upgraded the RAM to 24GB- don't think the RAM makes much if any difference to performance of Witcher 2 though.
Wakeywarrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
loki101
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London
The difference between 1440p and 720p is substantial. Obviously there is nothing wrong with enjoying the game at a low resolution! I can't wait till my iMac arrives on Monday, Witcher 2 is one of the first games I bought in anticipation (I am going to have quite a few games to play through this year).
loki101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
messiry
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeywarrior View Post
I'm playing Witcher 2 in OSX on my base 27 inch (didn't want to pay 320 more to upgrade to higher version and add on 680 which is what it costs in UK for what will be sparodic gaming) and it plays pretty good. I have it on high settings, but the resolution at 1280 x 720- no problems with it at all. The lack of RAM on the card only makes a difference if you go for native resolution. It looks fine at 1280x720.

So anyone worried about gaming on base 27 inch iMac- don't- unless you want the most demanding games on the native resolution.

I have Fusion and upgraded the RAM to 24GB- don't think the RAM makes much if any difference to performance of Witcher 2 though.
which GPU do you have, is it the 660m or the 675MX?
messiry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Dduval
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm playing the mac native version on my rig in my sig at 1080p at medium settings, HD 6970 1gb ram, runs great and looks great...awesome game as well.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
2011 27" iMac 3.1ghz 256gb SSD, iPad Air, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4,
iPod Touch, iPod mini.
Dduval is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
swarleystinson
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dduval View Post
I'm playing the mac native version on my rig in my sig at 1080p at medium settings, HD 6970 1gb ram, runs great and looks great...awesome game as well.
What kind of fps are you getting? It ran like crap for me on my 6970m 2GB. I had the i7 also. I tried lowering all kinds of settings and I couldn't get it much above low 30s fps. It would immediately dip when exploring.

I just sold it for the new 680mx .
swarleystinson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Wakeywarrior
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiry View Post
which GPU do you have, is it the 660m or the 675MX?
660. Just ran Dirt 2 on native res and it looks really good, much better than say a PS3, it was getting 99fps.

Will have to bootcamp, suspect it will run the likes of BF3 good at medium settings native res.
Wakeywarrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Dduval
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarleystinson View Post
What kind of fps are you getting? It ran like crap for me on my 6970m 2GB. I had the i7 also. I tried lowering all kinds of settings and I couldn't get it much above low 30s fps. It would immediately dip when exploring.

I just sold it for the new 680mx .
All i had to to do was disable ubersampling and anti-aliasing and motion blur...
__________________
------------------------------------------------
2011 27" iMac 3.1ghz 256gb SSD, iPad Air, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4,
iPod Touch, iPod mini.
Dduval is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last year base with Fusion vs 2013 base insimbi iMac 4 Sep 28, 2013 07:28 PM
Base 21.5" iMac w/ Fusion Drive, 16GB RAM option worth it? 50voltphantom iMac 2 Jan 5, 2013 11:27 AM
21.5" base with 16GB RAM or 21.5" top with fusion? MrMister111 iMac 8 Nov 30, 2012 06:48 PM
Got my mini. Some things I noticed (added SSD, OWC kit, added RAM) jshbckr Mac mini 6 Oct 31, 2012 11:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC