Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You guys all seem to be missing the fact that other services DO in fact allow you to stream your rentals on whatever device you want within the rental period. This is already a thing.

You seem to be missing the fact that iTunes rentals are not streaming, and have distinct advantages to streaming services.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
You seem to be missing the fact that iTunes rentals are not streaming, and have distinct advantages to streaming services.

Yes they are? When I rent a movie on the Apple TV, that bitch STREAMS, instantly. Maybe Apple also let's you download on mobile devices and such, but instant streaming is what happens in the living room. It's great too. Which is why I was so pissed that I couldn't do it after renting Skyfall.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
iTunes rentals are different than movies streamed from Amazon or Netflix on a mobile device. When it is a mobile device the rental is physically downloaded to the device. Thus one rental per device and the reason it is best to download on your mac and then move to the mobile device to avoid the multiple rental scenario originally encountered by the OP.

The ATV is different from a mobile device in that it is Streaming and thus why ATV content cannot be moved to a mobile device. What people are saying is that the Studios have made the destinction in licensing between downloaded content vs. streaming content.

I haven't used google's Play service for videos because the one time I tried I was in Canada and it wouldn't work on my tablet. That is the only other service I personally am aware of that Streams content but then allows you to also download it to the device in case you are offline and want to view. I would be curious to know how their model works compared to Apple's.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
You guys all seem to be missing the fact that other services DO in fact allow you to stream your rentals on whatever device you want within the rental period. This is already a thing. So much so, in fact, that I simply assumed that it would be the case with iTunes. It honestly never even occurred to me that it was possible for there to be a different way. Apple is languishing behind here.

How do you figure that? We used to pay $5 to rent a "new release" VHS at Blockbuster back in the day. How is it over-priced to pay the same amount and have the film instantly streamed to my home theater without even getting off the couch? If anything, digital rentals are an even better value!

Want to know what's actually the dumbest idea ever? Paying too much money for a new blu-ray, watching it once and then letting it waste away on the shelf. Or even worse: paying too much money for a new blu-ray, wasting countless hours ripping it and encoding it in m4v, watching it once and then letting it waste away on a media server with hundreds of other movies you've only watched once. LOL, hoarders. The worst of all peasants.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
If I rent a movie or TV show using iTunes my Mac or Windows PC, I can stream it using the Movies or TV Shows apps on my ATV4. Those rentals show up in the 'Purchased' tabs in both apps... o_O

Last edited:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
That's nice. I don't care. They need to renegotiate their agreements then.

"blablabla agreements legal jumbo blabla have to blabla contracts blabla"

I don't give a ****. I'm the end user. If I rent a movie, I should be able to watch it wherever. The end. Apple needs to just figure it out.

You guys all seem to be missing the fact that other services DO in fact allow you to stream your rentals on whatever device you want within the rental period. This is already a thing. So much so, in fact, that I simply assumed that it would be the case with iTunes. It honestly never even occurred to me that it was possible for there to be a different way. Apple is languishing behind here.

Actually, this is not true, if you rent a movie from Amazon, you can't watch it on your Apple TV (any version). If you have Prime, you can only stream the freebies and airplay them to ATV from their app on iOS device, but, it's not HD and not 5.1 audio.

NOTES:
1) If you rent via iTunes, you are downloading the movie, this way it is at the highest resolution at all times, unlike all other streaming services which stream it at low resolution until the buffer fills up then it gets into 1080p (but, it can also slow down if your network or internet gets bogged down while watching, depending on your rate and service). Also, be sure to let it download, do not check watch now, when you check watch now, you begin watching as it's downloading, but, it is downloading, here's why I say do not begin watching while downloading:
1a) 30 days: when you rent from iTunes, and let it download, (do not check yes to watching now), you have 30 days to watch it. Once you start watching the movie, that moment begins your 24 hour period.

2) I'm not sure about iPad/iphone, but, when I rent I use iTunes on my Mac, let it download, and want to watch on ATV, I can only:
a) open iTunes on my Mac and watch over home sharing network (only streams it from your Mac, not the cloud). This will play 1080p/5.1 audio, if the movie has 5.1 audio. (I am not sure if home sharing is supposed to work from an iPad or not, I haven't tried this.)

Purchased movies can also be streamed from iCloud without iTunes being open on your computer, but, apparently not rentals.

*after your 30 days/24 hour rental period is up, the downloaded movie is automatically deleted from your iTunes library.

Apple's support page on iTunes rentals: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201611
[doublepost=1474821306][/doublepost]
If I rent a movie or TV show using iTunes my Mac or Windows PC, I can stream it using the Movies or TV Shows apps on my ATV4. Those rentals show up in the 'Purchased' tabs in both apps... o_O
On ATV3 (I just checked), only purchased movies show up, rentals do not. (I have a rental I have not watched yet, downloaded on my Mac.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.