Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During its press conference at the 2013 Tokyo Game Show, Sony announced that it will be releasing its official PlayStation 4 app on the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices to launch alongside the release of its upcoming gaming console, reports Polygon. The app will include various features such as enabling the use of a mobile device as a designated game controller or second screen with compatible titles, as well as integration with Sony's Playstation Network such as allowing users to see information about friends, as well as advanced sharing features:
Users will also be able to view and interact with PlayStation Network information through the What's New feature, such as seeing what friends are playing, and accept and send multiplayer invites. The app will also display PSN Trophy information, feature chat capabilities with friends and offer access to the PlayStation Store. It will also include Twitter and Facebook integration.
ps4_remote_play.jpg
The app was first revealed alongside the PlayStation 4 at the 2013 PlayStation Meeting this past February. The official PlayStation 4 app will be avaliable as a universal app for download on the App Store this November.

Article Link: Official PlayStation 4 App for iOS to Launch Alongside Console in November

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
You better be able to use your iPad for chat convo's. Typing with the controller is painful!

NCWildcat

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
PS4 comes out November 15th for the USA

THIS. I have mine preordered through Amazon to arrive on 11/15. Sony is trying to battle the Xbox's stranglehold on the US market by sending their all their first run of stock here.

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
THIS. I have mine preordered through Amazon to arrive on 11/15. Sony is trying to battle the Xbox's stranglehold on the US market by sending their all their first run of stock here.

I have both consoles on Preorder. I love my Xbox 360, and I know I'll love Xbox One. My PS3 was good for a few exclusive titles. We'll see who wins this gen!

Elvin77

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
I'll believe it when I see it....

I am still waiting for the official PSN App which was promised for iOS ages ago. It still have never come out in North America.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
PSN integration is interesting. I wonder if it will be along similar lines to the existing app for Steam?

There's already a PSN app for iOS. Last time I used it it was just a friends list manager and had links to the PS blogs.

I imagine it will at least work like the Bravia iOS app, which acts like an off-screen TV guide and advanced remote (with cursor and keyboard function). And at the most act as way of viewing friends streams, buying content... possibly with game interaction.

(Could you imagine playing GTAV and having the ingame phone work on your own phone? So you'd receive "fake" calls, texts and emails from the characters. That'd be quite ace)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.