|Dec 27, 2012, 11:54 AM||#26|
OP this guy seems to have found one that works.
He bought his at Amazon Canada but Amazon US has it too at;
Not without some reliability complaints but I'm going to order one anyway for my Retina MBP and see how it goes.
Mac user since 1984.
|Dec 28, 2012, 01:06 PM||#27|
I ordered the Startech hub yesterday from Amazon and it showed up today. Seems pretty decently made and the cable is good. I have a USB 3 and USB 2 external drive plugged in and both work without any drop in their respective speeds as tested with Blackmagic.
Mac user since 1984.
|Dec 28, 2012, 09:27 PM||#28|
“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
|Jan 1, 2013, 09:30 AM||#29|
Browsing some other threads, it looks like I'm hardly the only one trying to find a working USB 3.0 hub for any 2012 Mac that now supports the new standard.
At any rate, it appears that StarTech, Belkin, and Uspeed have all upgraded the firmware of their respective USB 3 hubs. OS X 10.7 users are encouraged to upgrade to OS X 10.8.2 (or later) to enjoy reliable USB 3 hub speeds. Then there is a manufacturer called Plugged, which gets plenty of good reviews for their 4-port USB 3 hub, including great performance on USB 3-capable Macs.
For any Canadians lurking around here: There is a sale on for the Belkin USB 3 hub:
(Late 2014) 27" Retina 5K iMac w/ Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz / 3.9GHz AMD Radeon R9 M295X w/ 4GB GDDR5 24GB DDR3-1600MHz 256GB PCIe x2 SSD iPhone 6 iPad Air
Last edited by Crunch; Jan 1, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
|Jan 1, 2013, 12:42 PM||#30|
Massive thanks for all the excellent responses coming in on this thread, really great stuff, and seriously appreciated.
I have a few leads from a couple of forums now, I'm going to do a bit more digging, and then will report back with success or not once the goodies drop through my letterbox...
They'll get hell of a lot of usage too so should be a good benchmark.
edit: for the purposes of keeping everything in one place, this from another forum:
"I pick up a Kingston USB 3.0 Media Reader [ http://www.kingston.com/us/company/press/article/2663 ]along with an Iogear USB 3.0 4 Port Hub [ http://www.iogear.com/product/GUH374/ ] at a local Tech store.
Both have been working well with the MacBook Pro Retina 15".
Have a number of USB 3 external hard drive attached.
With the Iogear Hub I do have to use the AC power adapter (cord) that is provided.
Last edited by nemsye; Jan 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: more info
|Jan 4, 2013, 08:41 AM||#31|
Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub + 1 Charging Port
4 1/2 Stars with 123 customer reviews
Plugable USB3-HUB7-81X Seven-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Four-Amp Power Adapter (VIA chipset)
5 Stars with 27 customer reviews
If anyone has either of these and has tested it let me know.
Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 model [Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub + 1 Charging Port]
has the new VIA VL812 Chipset and is the only one, including the 4 port models, that tells about the update.
Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8, Mac OS X
* Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 users may experience unstable connections due to microchip incompatibility. Where possible, we recommend upgrading your OS X to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 or later.
If you encounter other performance concerns, please contact our customer support with your operating system information. We can then provide guidance on how to upgrade your hub's microchip firmware.
1. The charging port (5V 2A) is designed for charging your mobile devices only and will not support data transfers.
2. 2.4 GHz wireless devices, such as wireless keyboards and mouse adapters, may not work in close proximity to USB 3.0 devices or hubs. Connecting to a USB 2.0 port is recommended.
3. For maximum performance, connected devices should not exceed a combined current of 7A. Otherwise, output current may become unstable or disconnect entirely.
4. Some USB 3.0 devices require a direct connection to host USB 3.0 ports, including some USB 3.0 hard disks.
5. Please note that Apple now provides an official update for MacBook Air and MacBook Pro computers purchased in June 2012. This update improves USB 3.0 performance and compatibility and can be downloaded from the official Apple website as "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0." Please contact our support team if you cannot locate this update.
I may be careful about purchasing one of the other products unless they have been upgraded and say what is is compatible with.
Last edited by Vuddha; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: More information about Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Getting USB 3.0 speeds out of USB 3.0 hubs?||OneUp||Mac Peripherals||9||Jun 26, 2013 09:53 AM|
|USB 3.0 Hubs: Advice, Please.||dkleiner||iMac||4||Feb 5, 2013 02:50 PM|
|USB 3 Hubs||skel_73||Mac Peripherals||22||Jan 22, 2013 05:27 PM|
|Question about USB 3.0 hubs and USB 2.0||PhazonUK||MacBook Air||2||Jan 7, 2013 12:40 PM|
|USB 3.0 Hubs||Kirkle||Mac Peripherals||5||Dec 5, 2012 06:36 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.